Imperator: Rome

Hah, I triggered the civil war event chain as Rome. It set the loyalty of several people to 0 and gave them 28k armies to march to random places while the civil war clock counted down.

But half of them died of old age, so I got the armies and the disloyal characters fell under the trigger level. I wonder if I that sabotaged the event chain. šŸ˜€

New dev diary goes into great detail on the upcoming Carthage mission tree.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-dev-diary-28-10-19.1269271/

You werenā€™t kidding about the amount of detail. I ended up skimming rather than reading.

This looks a terrific addition to give you something to do. Iā€™m already getting bored with the game and a lack of stuff to do is my primary beef. I end up spending a lot of time which days click by, because I need money, manpower, political points or typically all of the above.

I think the combat is good, moderately more interesting than EU IV, but less interesting than HOI IV. The map is lovely, and the addition of characters and their families is done well. The soap opera aspect of CK2 turned me off. I think Imperator strikes a good balance between just having a rule in EU IV, or generals in HO IV and too much detail in CK2ā€¦

Still I really want this game to be turned base with yearly tuns or so, it is simply take to long a speed 3 to make much progress.

Whatā€™s wrong with speed 5?

Iā€™m constantly hitting pause because Iā€™m afraid I missed something. But your right I should try it more.

When I started playing Paradox games I found it really tough to just let time pass. I had to shift my point of view from trying to make decisions every turn to making decisions when opportunities became available. It helped to be a bit more relaxed, but it definitely doesnā€™t preclude boredom.

A few thousand hours later, still in the new player phase, I still have a hard time using max speed. Except in Stellaris, which is still slow as fuck.

See, itā€™s opposite for some people like me. I focus on a specific objective and canā€™t wait to get it. I.e. I will have new tech in 15 months and will have end of truce with that specific guy in 14 months so Iā€™d better just prepare for war. Events and opportunities on my way there irritate me. In EU4 and Imperator I can find some balance and enjoy the view, look for opportunities. But CK2 breaks my brain cause the right way to play it is to get to know all those snowflakes and be very observant about rulers changing, rebellious lords and so on and so on. Perhaps itā€™d be better if the game would have a better notifications and visuals cause in CK2 thereā€™s a great disconnect between the map and the real game. Even Imperator is better in that regard showing you rulers right there on the map.

Usually I hold off on playing Paradox titles for at least a year or two after release, but since this is in the microsoft game pass that I got this month for a dollar, I figure I might want to try it.

Iā€™m generally a fan of all their titles except CK2, blasphemy I know, but it just bounces right off me and Iā€™ve tried to get into it a number of times. Hearts of Iron, Stellaris, EU, Iā€™m on board.

So is this the time to give it a go or should I wait a bit longer? I am one of those people where a bad first impression can kind of sour me on a game permanently which is why I hold off on playing Paradox titles for a bit. They donā€™t have a great track record of solid releases in my book.

If yes, some first time faction recommendations would be welcome.

Thereā€™s never a right time for playing Paradox games, they donā€™t get finished. So now is as good time as any.

Tutorial with Rome is fine and allows you to continue once you beat all tutorial missions. Note that most people consider it easy so it might be a relaxing way to ease into the game.

Well, I shamelessly play the Ottomans about once a year in EUIV because I enjoy an easy exercise in map-painting now and then. Itā€™s kind of therapeutic.

Itā€™s super helpful in getting your bearings in the game, as the tutorial introduces a lot of the main concepts and the pace is relatively relaxed, without much in the way of overt threats from the other factions. (Itā€™s perhaps more useful if youā€™re not that experienced with Paradox games, like me, but still.)

I enjoy the game as it is now, for whatever thatā€™s worth. It doesnā€™t have the ridiculous amount of content that EU4 and CK2 have accumulated in their 6+ years of post-release development but it also doesnā€™t have big design problems that need to be reworked like Stellaris had. Migratory tribes, settled tribes, monarchies, and republics all have their own mechanics and play differently and that provides variety in addition to the asymmetrical starting situations that are a staple of Paradox games.

I guess my question is what are your main reasons for holding off a year or two on new releases? If itā€™s to avoid critical bugs and major design problems I think youā€™re probably good to go now. If itā€™s because you want all the extra content they add in that timeframe then Imperator will have more in another year or two than it does now, of course.

Pretty much to avoid critical design problems and major quality of life stuff. I guess what I was mainly wanting to know was if the game was currently undergoing some Stellaris-level of redesign where Iā€™d have to relearn it in 6 months anyways. Sounds like the answer is that it is more stable than that, design-wise.

Theyā€™re planning to add missions and rework the effects of some offices. But nothing major.

Yeah, no major redesign thatā€™s known about. 1.2 saw an overhaul of the monarch power system where they distilled it into Political Influence, but 1.3 is looking like itā€™s focused on content as opposed to overhauls.

Well knowing EUIV is certainly helpful here! Also the map is really beautiful, itā€™s going to be hard to look at the EU one the same way after.

Quick question - am I basically expected to always have a couple of disloyal characters and to just make sure it isnā€™t the important ones? Or is this something I should be mitigating entirely. Unless Iā€™m missing something I donā€™t see any way to give important jobs to a lot of these people. Itā€™s the mechanic Iā€™m struggling with understanding the most. And the Tyranny penalties seem pretty bad, and take a long time to go away so Iā€™m thinking I only want to use tyranny generating actions very sparingly.

Is there any way to influence tribal succession? I had my starting, now geriatric leader die at the start of a hard defensive war and got like 5 leaders in a row who were at deathā€™s door. Five new leaders in 3 years before I got down to someone in their 60s really tanked my stability.

People with little to no power base arenā€™t too much of a threat, unless theyā€™re in large numbers. I make sure my powerful families are not Scorned even if it means promoting an incompetent to a court position or raising a small army of light infantry that they can command and feel important.

Hmmm, Iā€™m not sure. I usually just roll with it. Iā€™m curious now if popularity or prominence have any impact on who is going to succeed.

Iā€™d just like to sit in at that tribal council and suggest that maybe the guy who canā€™t get out of his bed because heā€™s 85 and has terminal cancer with a health score of 3 shouldnā€™t be the next tribal chief.