Imperialism 2

Worth buying?

If one of the best strategy games ever made is worth buying, then yes.

Absolutely, fantastic game.

I played it to death, and then some. Great game!

Sadly I missed 'em both (1 and 2), but just bought 'em on ebay, boxed and sealed, for $9. I’ve heard though, that 1 isn’t really worth playing in the face of 2. This true?

Let me chime in:

Chime!

Ok, now that that’s done, yes, Imp2 is one of the best and most complex strategy games ever made. Luckily, it has a very good manual, which you will need to read and reread several times. Also, the strategy guide (Sybex, if memory serves) is one of the only strategy guides in existence that is unquestionably worth the money. I’d pick that up if I were you.

IMO, that is the case, as IMP 2 is a lot more fun than 1, but others may disagree. At least you got 'em both, because they’re both really good in their own right.

Definitely worth a look. Imperialism has never been more fun!

I loved Imperialism I’s simpler model. 2 was the better game, but I played 1 longer… so… dunno.

Uh, what they said. Imperialism 2 is a masterpiece. I’m hard pressed to think of anything since it that has captured the essence of what makes turn based strategy so compelling…

I preferred the first one. Imperialism 2 is good, but I found it much tougher to get the right balance of food supply going.

Definitely worth buying, though.

Troy

Imperialism 1 & 2 are both superb games. One of the most impressive aspects of the game is how it aviods the micromanagement hell that plagues the later stages of many strategy games that have large empires (Civ 2 anyone?).

I don’t regret a single penny spent on those games for the fun factor, and the replayability.

Haha, well I’ve bought it now. Not that I have the time to play it right now :(

One thing though, it took me half an hour of searching before I found the latest patch. The Imperialism 2 web site didn’t have it (broken link). None of the gaming websites I tried had it. I tried SSI, only to find that the web site was gone, and the company is too I presume. I tried UBIsoft, they had a patch but it was 1.02, not 1.03. Finally I happened upon Frog City (the developers) and they had the patch. So much trouble for a little patch.

Are there any good web sites that keep patches from old games?

Try The Patches Scrolls.

I’ve had good luck getting patches (both recent and ancient) from www.avault.com . YMMV.

In the tradition of strange strategy game balancing decisions (the mighty swordsmen killing modern infantry in Civ 3, for example) Imperialism 2 has some pretty interesting decisions about the use of naval forces and how movement occurs across seas. So I much prefered the first Imperialism, although it was smaller in scope than Imperialism 2. But others enjoyed Imperialism 2 a lot, so ymmv!

“YMMV” is an expression for internet-obsessed dullards. YMMV! :-)

I was wondering how long it would take for the ‘teleporting navy’ comments to make an appearance. That was always something I disliked but the game is still a gem.

GOG version of the game has been updated. It fixes the music not playing in Windows 10 — I don’t use Windows 10, so I can’t tell, but I do use Wine, and this fixed the music in Wine too!

I know it’s an old game, but has anyone found a good way to up the resolution on this one?