Imperialism

I’ve been hankering to play this, installed it, played it, regretted it.

I simply can’t get past a single aspect of the diplomacy. It is impossible to stop an alliance war once it starts. This is in such marked contrast to the Europa Universalis games that I’m going crazy. What I wouldn’t do for a GalCiv AI in Imperialism… sigh.

I stopped a good number; can you give a better description?

If you mean that you can’t stop an alliance war by settling with the major parter, you are right. You need to sign a number of separate peaces.

At the time, I loved this game - the first one more than the second. But it is hard to go back after Europa Universalis.

Fortunately, Victoria will be out in a month. And it looks to have an even more well developed diplomacy system.

Troy

I love the Imperialism games too but found EU too dense to get into. Maybe I should take another stab at it with a true manual (ie, FAQ) in hand.

What ever happened to Frog City’s latest game, Pantheon or something?

Victoria looks nice, but the disastrous failure-to-execute-on-amazing-potential that was HoI has left a bit of bad vibes with me on Paradox’s games.

So of course, I reinstall EU2 to give it another try tonight, and just start getting into it a little more, and it crashes to desktop. Now it CTDs every time I launch it.

Sometimes, you just can’t win.

EU2 is unplayable with scripted national events.

You simply can’t take a declining power. Imagine Poland for example. Its problem was massive decentralization which snowballed from the day the nobles got the right of liberum veto.

Yet the game doesn’t take into account the hardline policy by the kings. Smack them down enough and they’ll learn eventually :o

I don’t know about that. You certainly can make Poland a major power, but you need to move fast. Poland, the Timurids, Byzantium…these countries need an aggressive policy to last long. You can reject the decentralization as the Polish king, but you do pay consequences for rejecting the historical option. Persia and the Mughals go through the same thing.

You want an unplayable country? Try China or Japan. Way too many revolts.

Xemu, what OS and patch are you using for EU2? I haven’t crashed once since the upgrade to 1.07. In fact every patch from 1.05 on was very stable.

Troy

Renaming my avi directory as described on the forums seems to work (sheesh, how ridiculous is that?).

I can’t figure out how to make new Explorers… anyone?

Explorers are historical only if you pick default settings. You can’t make new ones ever IIRC. If you play a country with crappy or no explorers, then no exploration FOR YOU.

On the other hand, if you pick a weak and sad country with great explorers you can rock out.

My most enjoyable game of EU was the first time I completed a Grand Campaign as Portugal on the max difficulty. It was hard as hell. I had to really tapdance to control Spain. I never actually beat Spain but managed to get into a good alliance with them, with me as the alliance leader, which allowed me to keep them in check. The key was to explore early and often. I got a really nice empire going in India :). Great fun.

Any country can get random explorers. This is more likely if your domestic policy setting is closer to naval than land. You will need a port, of course.

Troy

Well, not unplayable. I’ve won many games as Poland. But I don’t like their weakness at the end. The cycle of decentralization simply wouldn’t get that bad if you, as the king, never allowed it to happen early on.

Poland’s internal troubles only got serious once the nobles were handed Liberum Veto. Until then, they were quite manageable. If you take the (big) hit by denying Liberum Veto, you shouldn’t get ever-more-crazy options in the future. At least not on the same scale.

BTW, my most memorable EU2 (or is it EU?) moment was when I was Poland and had just finished gobbling up Russia (oh, another pet peeve of mine - you can’t take capitals. It’s ridiculous to stretch out and capture all the Russkie territories out to the Pacific but not be able to take Moscow.)

Anyway, I’d just finished gobbling up Russia and hadn’t paid much attention to the west. Next thing I know, Brandenburg is making itself a pain… so I look over and see a HUGE Brandenburg. After looking at the log, I’d figured out how. Bavaria had taken southern Germany and Venice. Brandenburg had fought a few sneaky alliance wars and took Bavaria in turn. But that’s not all. Burgundy had somehow managed to not only forestall its fate of being splintered up, but grew stronger with it. Most of Holland, northern Italy (including Genoa! Bastards…) anyway, all that PLUS France and the far west of Germany was Burgundy’s.

To top things off, Brandenburg got that disgusting inheritance event, where they got Burgundy for free. Gratis. No wars, no conflicts, no tedious vassalage (btw, does that even work in 1.07? I can’t even get the annex vassal text option to appear).

So here I am, a technologically backward (level 20 or so land), monstrous power (basically a super-Russia, since I also had Sweden, Hungary, Bohemia and Moldavia), about to face off with what was basically a very advanced (high 30s ground tech) Charlemagne’s empire. My only salvation was that Brandenburgundy didn’t have colonies.

I loved both EU & EU2, but jesus christ on a pogo stick, could they design a worse interface if they tried? I ended up not playing anymore in disgust at the absurd amount of clicking.

Brandenburg gets Burgundy? Burgundy should be l ong gone by 1478 when Austria inherits them. Do you mean Kleves?

Vassal can only be annexed if you share a land border with them, are at peace, and have had them as a vassal for ten years. It worked fine in 1.00, IIRC, so it works fine in 1.07. And your relations have to be pretty good, too.

Troy

Brandenburg gets Burgundy? Burgundy should be l ong gone by 1478 when Austria inherits them. Do you mean Kleves?

Vassal can only be annexed if you share a land border with them, are at peace, and have had them as a vassal for ten years. It worked fine in 1.00, IIRC, so it works fine in 1.07. And your relations have to be pretty good, too.

Troy[/quote]
Austria was out of the picture. Fell to Bavaria (for the most part. Helvetia and Venice took a small bite too). I told you, it was a crazy game. Then again, a powerful Bavaria wasn’t all that rare back around 1.03/1.04.

Actually, I remember taking out the inheritance event for Austria/Burgundy anyway. I didn’t like how powerful France kept becoming.