Impulse: TOTAL ANNIHILATION

True. If people really want to, they can burn the audio to a cd, or use install virtual drive software themselves. The only benefit above just playing the audio in the background is the dynamic switching between build and battle music.
But still, in case people do want to burn a cd or mount an image, it is a shame the original uncompressed music is not available.
Burning a disc image is easy. Making one that properly supports redbook audio from the mp3 files is a lot harder.

There’s plenty of shareware available to let you do that.

Spring has AI?

Sure thing, if you need anything in relation to Queller just drop me a PM.

TA Bugfix isn’t mine, but the e-mail address on Switeck’s site is still valid and monitored.

TA:Spring, out of the box, was not a recreation of TA but rather the Sweedish Yankspanker’s own version which was based off (if not identical to) a total conversion they did for TA.

I believe someone made a mod for Spring to make it like original TA, but certain elements of the engine, such as the way it handled radar, meant it could never be a fully faithful recreation.

Any inaccuracy in my post is due to my never having played TA:Spring.

I mostly play against an AI, and whilst it works, I wouldn’t class it as the best ever. I play an odd game as I don’t care for resources and play metal maps with maxed resource multipliers, and all I care for is an AI that can overwhelm my elaborate base defences with a huge multi-factory zerg rush. Once my army is made and out there I’ve not yet been stopped in destroying the AI base, they just don’t know how to layer defences.

The trouble with Spring is I get crashes, inactivity or errors with all bar one AI with the two most popular mods, and other mods have a habit of not working or not working with AI. The lobby/launcher always gives me update errors too. Updates often break stuff and it can be a bit temperamental. It could just be my install though. I certainly enjoy it once up and running, and it has been my RTS of choice for years, having replaced TA.

I might get this TA, I have a pack of maps I made somewhere on CD which were metal maps but non-metal tilesets and greatly missed. Also TAUIP/TAUCP and Final Frontier don’t work in Spring at the moment and I miss not having 50 types of base defence emplacements. I might wait for the updates though, as my TA CD is in reach and not much is added to that right now.

Tip of the day…

Don’t forget, TA players, press * and then X in the skirmish screen to go from 4 to 10 slots.

Damn. Finish SCII or get this and play.

Damn.

Well already paid for SCII so will finish that.

Then back here I guess.

Guess I have a use for that credit I got from my TotalGaming account that I umm kinda forgot to spend.

I think I took a week off from work being “sick” when this game came out. Hope my wife can keep me from doing that this time.

I never played TA (I was too busy playing WarCraft 2, Age of Empires and Seven Kingdoms). Is this re-release worth playing for newcomers, or do antiquated interface and control issues perhaps make it best for nostalgia only?

Yay Seven Kingdoms!

And honestly, it still holds up, IMO. Has a fantastic interface that’s pretty streamlined, IMO.

Apart from the somewhat limited for the resolution build menus (and lack of hotkeys for them IIRC), the interface is as superb now as it was then. Only the SUPCOM games have really advanced on what this game allows you to do in terms of control.

I tried one of the SopCom games, found it very lifeless, especially compared to TA.

Was it the Uberhack mod that included expanded menus to take advantage of higher resolutions?

No, that was part of the mod launcher TA:Mutation

http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/html/tam.htm

I have TA:M copies of every AI ever made (that I know of) for TA. There was also a Mac launch called Macutator, I have copies for that one too. Ah, the days of being a student :)

Somewhere in this house I also have a number of DVDs containing every map ever hosted by that big map site from back in the day (TAMA? TAMC?). Alas, the guy behind it shipped the DVDs not as a work of love but as a massive and utterly useless dump of their file server.

I didn’t like it either, I think it was the level of separation from your units and the action that the zoom brought.

nice release,this is going to be great.

I would like to second this query.

On the other hand, thanks Brad for making me spend even more money. Didn’t get to play this when it first came out so I’m really looking forward to firing it up, that is if I can pull myself away from sots for long enough (nudge nudge points to sentence above ;) )

Originally Posted by Heliocentric
[bitching]Hey Brad, your distribution platform hasn’t got the 1.7.2 patch of sword of the stars, can you get a minion to press the button to launch the update satelite into orbit?

I just pinged them about this. Stay tuned.

That’s part of it, but it just felt like such an empty experience to me. Like going through the motions.

I’m looking forward to trying this out multiplayer this weekend. I’ve not used Warzone before. Internally, we’re working on a COM object for DirectPlay so that you’ll be able to host and join games within Impulse but the top priority was to make sure it supported existing services that were continuing to support the TA community.

[quote=“Impulse Product Page for TA”]
System Requirements - Minimum:
[ul]
[li] Microsoft Windows XP (Compatible with Windows 7)”[/li][/quote]

[/ul]

Um, let’s try this instead:

Impulse Requirements
Requires: Windows XP (32-bit), Windows Vista, or Windows 7
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0
1GHz Processor
50 MB Available System Memory
100 MB Available Hard Drive Space

The requirements you list are for IMPULSE, not TA. However, since I’ve asked, there is now a note saying that TA is compatible with Windows 7. I don’t know why there is no compatibility with Vista, so until this is further clarified (I’m running Vista) I’ll hold off.

This is from http://www.impulsedriven.com/totalannihilation which I assume is the TA page.

There is a section directly above “Impulse Requirements” that says “System Requirements,” from which I pulled that note. Other games (e.g. The Witcher) also have the “System Requirements” section, and it lists substantially more rigorous requirements than does the TA page, but the same requirements in the “Impulse Requirements” section. Hence, I presume that “System Requirements” refers to the requirements for the particular game.