In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

Hey, you might get a Kids in the Hall, although I do admit you may also get a The Trouble with Tracy.

Continuum wasn’t bad.

Transplant was a really good medical drama series produced in Canada and aired on NBC for two seasons during the pandemic programming shortage of 2020-2022. It is supposedly renewed for a third season, though NBC may end up burning that off on Peacock because apparently season two’s ratings were way down from season one (likely because they moved it around on the schedule and didn’t advertise it very well).

Yesss. Prayers answered. They have taken some bold steps this season as they lean into the human side of the story.

I only ever watched season 1. Glad its still enjoyable.

Heh, we petered out in season two, but I’ve heard season 3 is much better.

Season 3s main plotline is amazingly well written. And it has almost nothing to do with Superman.

That’s too bad. I really enjoyed that show.

There will probably be more show casualties due to the strikes as production schedules get scrapped, unfortunately.

This whole strike is sort of like a cease-fire in the studio spending wars. The studios seem well-positioned to ride out the strike. They are still sitting on content, and in the case of Netflix at least, they are fine with showing foreign stuff that is still being produced.

As a home viewer and infrequent movie-goer, it really hasn’t had any impact on me. I guess later this year and next the theaters might have trouble getting new movies to show.

There’s a belief that, yeah, the studios want to get out of some of the ridiculous deals they made over the past 5 years. Like six-figure development deals to folks like JJ Abrams and Shondra Rimes. Does the strike actually nullify those deals?

Netflix also benefits from laws that mandate that any streaming services operating in a country or region have to have a certain % of original content from that country. It forced Netflix to invest in overseas content, and SAG and WGA are American entities. That’s why some British-based productions like House of the Dragon are still going; actors there don’t work under SAG, but under their own union, Actor’s Equity.

That’s probably one of the best things Netflix ever did. I know some people can’t abide subtitles, but I can’t abide not having them. I don’t mind foreign stuff in the least.

Even if nothing new was produced for the next five years, I’d still find things to watch. Maybe it’s because I’m old and I grew up with no streaming or VHS and only six channels. I was conditioned to not having a lot on. I also have a huge gaming backlog and a huge reading backlog. I’m flooded with content.

That sucks about both shows. I really liked The Peripheral, and A League of Their Own was supposedly a great show as well. This seems like it’s all about Amazon using the strike as a way to shed costs on shows it considered expensive under-performers. I’d expect them to opt out of Rings of Power as well, but they spent waaaaay too much money just to secure the rights, so now I imagine they’re kind of forced into continuing to produce it.

So now Disney+ has cancelled another series already filmed but never aired. Seems so weird to me. Just accounting tax break bullshit.

To be fair though it has Christian Slater. When was the last time he was in something good? Star Trek 6?

Mr. Robot has entered the chat.