In Which North Carolina Strives to Create an American Christian Caliphate

I thought all lives matter, but no procession honoring any of the other victims…

All Lives Mattter, some are just more equal than others you see.

So thin blue line is right out.

Keeping the populace poor and in debt is part of the Caliphate, is it not?

Jesus thought usury was great, it’s right there in the Bible!

He did have fabulous prizes for the temple moneylenders.

He’s a free thinker with his own opinions and beliefs! Like…everyone else, I guess.

That’s literally how the Taliban do things.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article268285747.html

Well, this is… interesting…

A 21-year-old college student with no experience claimed the job of Haywood County Tax Collector in Tuesday’s election.

Tax Collector Greg West, who achieved the highest tax collection rate in the county’s history, was ousted by Sebastian Cothran, who has not yet finished school at UNC-Asheville.

Haywood County Tax Collector Greg West achieved the highest tax collection rate in the county’s history, but got ousted by a Republican college student with no experience in the 2022 election.

Cothran had something West didn’t, however: an “R” beside his name on the ballot. GOP candidates swept every contested race in Haywood County on Tuesday.

To be fair, I vote a lot of down ballot stuff based solely on party affiliation, and I suspect many others do, too.

I’m too lazy to do my civic duty and read up on the backgrounds of every single candidate in every single position. For some positions (e.g., judicial ones where there is no party affiliations), I’ll just leave things blank because of my ignorance, but I consider party affiliation reason enough for me to support a candidate when I’m too lazy to research.

Presumably, this county will simply pay the price for this act of democracy. Alternatively, they’re true R’s and won’t mind that taxes don’t get collected, even as their services degrade.

Besides, dude has a Fallout shirt on! I’d vote for him.

I do try to read some local paper writings on them when I get my ballot.

I don’t remember if I voted in the CA Primary this year, but apparently, the D Insurance Commissioner in CA did some questionable ethical things, but still managed to fend off his challenger (my old State Rep or Senator). On the other hand, we had the GOP choice of a “Financial Advisor”, who none of the local papers could even endorse, simply making no endorsement, and blaming folks for letting him get out of the primary.

I do not have much respect for “Financial Advisors” who think they should be elected public servants, given the industry’s shoddy reputation for putting their own pockets before their clients’ pockets.

I see a bunch of stuff on Twitter that suggests this was a coordinated gunfire attack on the power grid in parts of North Carolina.

Early days, but we may be entering fuck around / find out territory.

May the Lord will it.

You may have too much hope if you feel like Moore Co. police are gonna support the drag queens here. Flyover country fucking blows. Here’s to hoping no elderly folks on home medical devices die while the power’s out due to the shot-up equipment.

I fucking hate this shithole state.

Police don’t like power outages, so while they may not support drag queens they are definitely going to investigate/arrest people attacking power infrastructure.

At least she shot up the power grid instead of the show itself.

Sounds like the feds are already starting to step in. Sabotaging the electrical grid is a federal crime.

Definitely wouldn’t trust Boss Hogg’s local goons, but the FBI is usually competent.