Income Inequality!

We do have social security which provides on average about $18K a year, and tops out at about 36K/per person. It worth noting that seniors have the 2nd highest income, and lowest poverty level of any age group.

I believe that’s the same logic racists use to argue that African Americans were better off under slavery.

WTH are you talking about? That makes zero sense.

I know, but there’s people that argue it. So sort of like your nonsense argument.

Applause.

Completely inappropriate and offensive.

Slavery is not the Qt3, one argument to end them all approach. People need to stop using it like it is.

Why don’t you let us know when and if any of us are allowed to talk about American slavery, or use it as an example, a metaphor, or a comparison for anything.

Or you can just keep your Google alert running and make sure to wag your finger at anyone who dares mention the word. I’m sure that’ll have a positive effect on both the discourse and people’s willingness to listen to you.

You don’t use it as end all to random arguments. So yeah, if you can’t understand that, check your privilege at the door.

I feel enslaved by these restrictions.

It’s quite simple, if you have a slavery card in your back pocket to primarily use against other white people in arguments, or maybe people of color by chance because, you sure as hell wouldn’t do it in a room full of black people, you’re probably doing it wrong.

If it’s not actually addressing the horrors, the rapes, the murder, the hangings, the drownings, the unmarked graves, sold and raped children, the maiming, the sick and old abandoned… then you’re also doing it wrong. And we haven’t even got to Jim Crow yet with that list.

It’s not something you just whip up or out to shut someone up. There is deep hurt, deep emotions and ongoing resentment, anger and continuous efforts to actually bring attention and claim the work and efforts of people history continuously overlooked, ignored and willfully tried to erase today.

Don’t do it.

Hey, I just watched The Laundromat. It’s probably not a very good movie, but it does make a very explicit argument (as in a soliloquy out of character directly to the camera) for why billionaires shouldn’t exist. Though it–being the writing, direction, and production project of rich people–frames the argument as one for campaign finance reform. It’s easy enough to reframe it as an argument for very high taxation on very high levels of income and wealth.

This story has some really tantalizing content.

A private jet carries 10 people to Marseilles despite the lockdown and travel ban in France. Three chartered helicopters were waiting at the airport to take them to a rented villa in Cannes.

The passengers are 7 men aged 40-50 and 3 women aged…23-25. The group are made up of Croatian, German, French, Romanian and Ukrainian nationals. When police stopped them from boarding the helicopters, the travelers used cell phones to call their ‘contacts’ to get permission to continue traveling.

Ultimately they were sent back to the UK. The helicopter operators were fined for violating the travel ban. I think these people were quite bold, really. Wasn’t it the French who invented the guillotine?

Says we’re not sure.

But they definitely made it famous.

Richard Branson, who lives in the BVI and hasn’t paid taxes in the UK for 14 years, wants UK taxpayers to bail out Virgin Atlantic, a business he owns 20% of through Virgin Group. Of course, Branson says, living in BVI has nothing to do with the tax advantages!

There have been comments about my home. Joan and I did not leave Britain for tax reasons but for our love of the beautiful British Virgin Islands and in particular Necker Island, which I bought when I was 29 years old, as an uninhabited island on the edges of the BVI.

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/open-letter-virgin-employees

To be fair, both the USVI and BVI are pretty awesome places to live. Other than the hurricanes :D

And these!

Which Branson famously weathered. I assume he could’ve just hopped on a plane and left, so he probably really does want to live there.

I was kind of under the impression most the airlines in several countries are getting financial support. I don’t know why virgin would be different. It’s be nice if with all that money they’d all agree to stop feeing people to death but… that requires time, consideration and planning which at least a handful of governments are straight up not capable of at the federal level right now.

I dunno. The thing about Virgin Atlantic is that it is foreign-owned. Branson owns 20%, and the rest is owned by Delta (US registry) and Air France / KLM (French registry I think). So probably someone is wondering why it would be the UK taxpayers who bailed them out.

Same reason the cruise ship industry believes the US government should bail them out.

Fuck em.