Income Inequality!

I was a professional writer for a decade and I lack the words to express the depths of my feelings on the subject of whether non-essential corporations should be bailed out by taxpayer dollars.

If it’s a good investment, they can go to the market and get bridge loans or additional funding to cover whatever they need to continue operating with little trouble.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck everything about this fucking GOP bailout. I’m mostly mad that the executive is so far getting away with “fuck yo oversight, we’re going to funnel this money to donors and you can’t do shit, nerds.”

Cowards and traitors all.

Robert Reich put up a blog post with some follow-up on the corporate social responsibility pledge. Spoiler: it ain’t happening.

I know to take Reich’s posts with a big grain of salt, but in this case I’m confident he’s correct. I’m sure each of these corporations could point to some small things they’ve done in the name of social responsibility, but any of that is dwarfed by the cut-costs-screw-the-employee measures.

I was pretty annoyed about the Walmart commercial bragging about the 8 million they pledged to small businesses or whatever when the ad campaign itself surely cost more than that.

Flattening the curve.

Cough cough guillotine cough.

Since the Typhoid Mary is a bit long in the tooth, we need a new term for he modern days . How about Covid Karens

Training
Construction complete
“Mobile guillotine squad ready for deployment!”

The RoR name for this unit is of course, “The Hedge Clippers”.

McSally’s new proposal is basically to provide some taxpayer funding for the vacations of wealthy people. It’s a refund of taxes paid/owed, so if you don’t actually have the $4-8k in tax liability, you don’t get all the money. To owe $4k in taxes, household income has to be above $50k I think. To owe $8k, income has to be above $80k. And of course many households will get nothing at all.

Never mind that this is also government-funded pandemic spread.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-24/millennials-will-be-poorer-than-parents-if-they-can-t-buy-homes

Cue every conservative pundit in the world blaming their lack of wealth on iPhones and avocado toast.

Re: Student debt, the problem isn’t so much that students borrow money for college, it’s that college is too expensive. Buying a house is basically an investment, as is paying for a 4- or 6-year degree. There isn’t anything wrong with borrowing money for the latter, any more than for the former. But the price of the latter is now so high that the resulting debt is mortgage-like.

I mean, fuck, I paid as much for my coding bootcamp as I did for about a year and a half of state school back at the turn of the millenium.

Back in ~1980, Virginia Tech cost me ~$2000 per year all in, including the accommodations and meal plan. So four years of that was about the cost of an economy car, not a house.

Yeah i know they trick me but can I actually file it for free for real for once this year? Kinda annoyed i have to pay $120 every year to these assholes. (ok, freefile has something)

Indeed.

We need MOAR guillotines.

Keeping me employed, at least.

Having states compete in tax rates creates difficulties. Like a rehash of the Amazon deal where municipalities trip over each other to beg for “jobs”.