Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man

Except for Miles’ VO. I truly hated it.

phone rings “Hiiiii, Gaaankyyyy…”

Ugh.

okay then.

So finally finished this and all the DLC after picking it up in the Steam winter sale. What a great game! While I didn’t love everything about it (I’m disappointed I didn’t get to punch Screwball repeatedly in the face), overall, I loved it. And I really know nothing about Spider Man in terms of comics or anything - just the movies (and not even all of those - think I only saw the first two Maguire ones, and none of the Garfield movies), so maybe the story hit me different than those who do know the comic backgrounds, but the story worked for me. Looking forward to starting Miles Morales now.

I’m not sure why it took me 5 years to finish this game, but I finally got around to it this weekend and loved it. Skipped most of the optional stuff other than Tombstone & Otto’s puzzles.

Looking forward to the sequel!

I hope Screwball & Mary Jane stealth sequences won’t be returning.

Really impressed with how detailed the city was, landmarks, graffiti, etc. I went looking for the Baxter Building and couldn’t find it. That’s not a complaint, it’s a big thumbs up that I actually searched instead of just swinging past the surroundings.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the cyborg spidey suit was in the game. Sad that it wasn’t unlocked until I was done with the DLC. I would’ve worn that for hours. Loved that comic crossover when it was released 30 years ago.

From memory, I think it was on the East side, no farther north than Central Park.

While I loved finding all those landmarks, they, perhaps counterintuitively, made the city feel a little empty. If all of Manhattan is under siege, can’t Doctor Strange or Daredevil or the Fantastic Four help out Spider-Man at all? Have they all gone fishin’ and will be back tomorrow?

Arise, O Thread!

I haven’t played in a long time nor finished the whole plot of the first game, and I’d like to find out how close I am. Last I remember “I” (really Spidey) chased Electro (or whatever he’s called) after fighting a bunch of dudes rioting at the prison in the middle of the river, and when I caught up with him on some rooftop I was ambushed by a bunch of villains. That resolved however it does (honestly don’t remember) and I guess someone saved me.

More or less how much do I have left to play in the main plot? 10% maybe? It sure feels like I should be getting near the end.

Playing on the PS4 Pro BTW.

IIRC you’re only about 2/3rds into the game. I think that’s the point when the military contractors take over the city, and that adds a bunch of stuff to do.

Wow, really? Yeah, now that you mention it, I’ve taken down some of their checkpoints.

You may even be 3/4ths complete. It can wrap up somewhat quick, especially if you make a point of following only the story, though there are DLCs I recommend if you are looking to stretch it out longer. I like the Black Cat angle of the DLCs.

Just finished it this morning! I assume you saw Doc Ock? (C’mon, that’s not a spoiler if you know who Otto is…) If so, you’re about 75% through the storyline.

I started it in 2021 (when the remaster came out) and then life got in the way and I never finished.

My son bought Spider-Man 2 on our PS5 and got game-locked on it and finished it in like four days. He loved it. So that incentivized me to take a look back at SM1 and i blew through it this week. Thought it was fantastic and I’m surprised I stopped playing two years ago.

But at least now (after a palate cleanser of a couple other games… High on Knife and Star Trek Resurgence) I can then jump right into Miles Morales and Spidey 2!

It’s been so long that I don’t know if I’ve seen the evil version of Doc Ock. Last I remember I was taking down those private security goon checkpoints.

PC Miles Morales $20 in the Epic sale right now…

I’ll have to check and see if I can get a deal on the PS4 version, since my current computer’s CPU is probably below spec. Still, I won’t have this computer forever, so maybe. Also going to check out the price on the original game.

Actually, at least on the first game, my CPU is not below spec, yay!

So how is Miles Morales compared to the first game (which I really liked, apparently would run fine on my PC and I wouldn’t mind playing again–although I gather they changed Peter Parker’s character model for some bizarre reason-- please tell me they didn’t change Mary Jane’s too)? Are the moves/powers similar in MM?

Did the sales ever recover on the console side, or was it considered a commercial dud?

Miles is great. It’s a shorter experience, but the story and characters are wonderful, and Miles has cool electric powers and invisibility which change things up.

I did end up buying it and playing some last night. Man am I out of practice with the combat (but getting better). For some reason I still feel as though my traversal skills are clumsy and that I over-rely on the basic swinging + horizontal “zipping” and that I need to do something else to get and maintain height.

Is “point-launching” the answer–i.e. double triggers + A (or X with a PS controller)? Wall-running and cornering when changing direction? I just feel like my Peter and Miles move like dorks.