Intel Unison: iMessage and file transfer between iPhone and Windows 11

So Intel has released its Unison app that lets you easily transfer files and photos between iOS and Windows 11. Yay, no more having to send to OneDrive as an intermediary! But the best feature is that you can send/receive iMessages. So finally, texting from your PC keyboard without having to run Mac OS in a VM just to get iMessage!

It’s ostensibly for Intel Evo laptops, but it works fine on my homebuilt Asus desktop and a friend even installed it on his AMD rig without issue.

Grab the PC client from here; there’s a QR code during setup to get the iOS companion app.

It also works on Android, but I’d think Android people would just use the Windows Phone Link app.

Didn’t work for me, bluetooth pairing is broken. Some people say it works for them, so give it a shot. I use Airmessage with a macOS VM for iMessage anyway.

Windows 11 only boo.

Yep, I tried to install it on my laptop and the Bluetooth pairing also failed there. Works fine on my desktop, but the desktop has an Intel Bluetooth/Wi-Fi card, where the Asus laptop has some generic Bluetooth adapter inside.

It’s a new OEM utility designed to be bundled with new PCs, so it makes sense it’d be designed for the current operating system.

No compelling reason not to upgrade to Win 11 (once you revert their stupid taskbar redesign) if your CPU supports it, but that’s a different topic. :)

Ahh that’s probably it, mine is realtek.

Only thing I really care about is iMessage anyway, and I get that through Airmessage.

Yep, mine is too old for Win 11 and I have no compelling reason to buy a new PC right now.

Oo one more thing my project leftover Celeron server can run my Ryzen gaming Pc can’t.

Good ol MS. You can’t find this by searching in the Microsoft Store app. I had to click on the link in this thread.

I think it’s intentionally hidden from search as this is really intended to be a product bundled with specific laptops.

I think it seems to be up and running on my Ryzen-based laptop? Sent an iMessage to someone from my laptop, it appeared in iMessage on my phone, and the recipient successfully got it.

Neat! Intel bluetooth?

Okay, so this works fairly well on my 11th-gen EVO laptop, even though it is technically unsupported. However, it doesn’t remember or load any of my SMS conversations.

It did work when my sister texted me last night, and I was able to reply to her. But when I loaded up my laptop this morning that conversation is no longer there. That section is just empty.

Anyone else?

Did it remain open and running online the entire time?

I did reboot.

AFAIK it doesn’t maintain anything server-side when it’s not running.

If Intel can do this, why can’t anyone else? Why aren’t there a hundred apps that allow you to link text messages from Windows to iOS?

I thought Apple was prohibiting this on other platforms. It’s a really nice feature on my Mac!

Yeah, me too, but obviously not.

MS has had Phone Link for years, but it’s only Android. I have no idea why they never pushed to support iOS.

Dell did have its own solution, but it didn’t work as well as Unison and they killed it recently.
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000199082/dell-mobile-connect-and-alienware-mobile-connect-end-of-service-announcement