Internet speed

Well, apparently my d/l speed doubled recently. I guess I got something for my $4/month increase.
I think I pay around $60/month for internet, with no cap.
Also, I’ll add my sympathies to Charlatan and sharaleo.

Well, I pay $40 a month for this crap but I live in the boonies. I have no other choice, really.

I live in Hillsboro, which is about 9 miles NW of Leesburg, towards Harper’s Ferry.

Mine is almost 25mbit ,cable net for about 20$.

Download Speed: 24320 kbps (3040 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1479 kbps (184.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Which country are you in, sevagon? Need that much context :)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3604081872.png

Something must be wrong now, I usually get 10-15 Mbps down for about $50. Comcast isn’t in our area, and Century Link is the only choice that has speeds over 3 Mbps and no caps. Every six months or so we get a flyer advertising Comcast’s new service in our area, and when I call they say they haven’t rolled it out yet. I just want it to happen so I have more than one option.

Sweden. Paying about 30$ for 100/100.

YAY! someone very very slightly slower than me. I feel better

Alberta, 15/1 for $55 a month. (Telus.)

Fucking hell. I’d have to pay $100 a month for the download speed and about 1/20th of the upload.

CableOne advertises as 70 Mbit so ~60 for a server 150 miles away is decent. Cost per month + taxes + fees is about $100. I could save $25 by dropping to 60 Mbit or $50 by going to 50.

There’s a cap but 500 GB for the 70 mbit plan and I’m one person, not hosting or uploading, so it works for me. I exceeded a 300 gb cap when I was on slower service but all they do is send email with advice on lowering usage.

Other options:
a. I could get 40 Mbit CenturyLink dsl (formerly Qwest) at $30 + fees for first 12 months (then $72 monthly) with no cap but what I have now works better. I used to have them at 1.5 Mbit but jumped ship because it took them too long to upgrade.

b. 702 Communications has 90 Mbit fiber for $75 a month in some areas including literally across the street but not yet at my address. Maybe I could get someone to set up wireless N with directional antennas…

c. More disappointingly: Midcontinent (same as Giles Habibula although different city) has 200 Mbit for $107 + fees but they also haven’t reached my apartment building. They only started expanding into town in the last year or so. They’ll reach me sooner or later.

Of course all have cheaper plans but who cares? I’m only interested in the fastest bandwidth (and therefore most exorbitant).

This is what happens when your entire city is not dominated by one huge national company. You get choices!

Highest tier uverse
FTTP
around $88 after all the fees and crap are added. No caps in my region.

Seems pricey and that stupid $7 equipment charge doesn’t help.

Isn’t u-verse fiber? That sucks for fiber.

Yeah that’s fiber and fiber all the way to the side of my house. No copper at all. So I have insane amounts of available bandwidth to my house that I can’t tap into. They have one tier higher called gigapower which is only 300 up/down (with a free upgrade to 1000 sometime in the future) but is only rolling out in very select locations. Basically, only where there is google fiber competition.

Verizion Fios is not an option b/c they apparently divvy up the territory between verizion and at&t. Where one serves the other won’t.

Stusser, who is your ISP?

Just found out that the city has revised it’s muni-fiber rollout plan to start on the richer side of town instead of our end as originally planned and now my neighborhood won’t be wired until Q1-2016. Still, hopefully only 2 more years before that sweet 1 gig at $50 a month. Will be interesting to see if we get some speed upgrades from Comcast.

I’ve noticed that even while higher speeds are available, I seem to rarely ever use more than 25mb/s down, unless I am installing a steam game. Then my full 50mb/s download speed is used. Makes me wonder if speeds above 25mb/s are worth the extra money.

My local cable RCN has competition from another cable company Service Electric in my area, so prices are somewhat competitive and speeds offered are great. I can upgrade to 75mb/s anytime with a phone call and a extra $10 per month. And 100mb/s will be offered some time in 2015.

Time-warner cable.

Hooray for rural america! $40 a month for this shit.

$80 a month. They have a faster speed but its another $20 a month. Just haven’t upgraded out of laziness and the fact that the current speed is fine. Not much difference in having to wait 8 minutes vs 12 minutes for me.

We have access to uverse in our area too but its not fiber to the homes and its the same cost for 45Mb/s. No way I am switching from Cox’s rock solid cable modem to AT&T DSL. Heh.

I know when I move next, which probably won’t be for years - if not decades, that internet will play a primary choice in my relocation. Which sucks, cause otherwise I would absolutely go rural.

I might end up switching to Comcast’s Business Class ISP service. It’s $70/mo and my speeds will drop nearly in half (16/3 vs 30/5) but it would mean no data caps.

Those of you on Comcast or U-verse and don’t currently have data caps, enjoy it while you can.

There’s a glimmer of hope… Google Fiber might be coming to my town.