Internet speed

Got fiber finally here; then spent 2 hours with customer support before they managed to activate bridge mode, but they forgot to tell me that it was only working on one of the ports, so another few minutes of troubleshooting.

Locally; need to find a test site on another continent to see how the bandwidth is ‘over there’.

LPB!

Discourse cop mode disengage.

I remember the days when 48 ms was LPB :-) … Time to fire up vQuake and find a TCTF server.

Hah, I forgot about LPBs.

It took me a second or two.

Yaaay… wait. Those numbers are the opposite of what I want. :(

Wireless AC aint what it’s cracked up to be. I wasn’t expecting miracles, but i was getting over 200Mb/s download on N. Googling, it seems that faster upload speeds is not an uncommon problem, however there appear to be no good solutions for it.

I used to get gigabit, rental etc included, for $140/month. I recently downgraded to 200mb for $100/month. I honestly never used the bandwidth, there was nothing I accessed on the internet that was uploading at gigabit speed.

Mine’s pretty good, especially considering my computer is upstairs, and I’m connected using a MOCA 2.0 connection through the cable in the wall. That’s why I don’t get higher numbers on the computer. The Xbox One and PS4 downstairs are connected directly into the google fiber router, but obviously I never get super high speeds on those two. Best I’ve seen on PS4 is unknown/slow, and best I’ve seen on Xbox One is about 260 Mbps.

I just had my 1 year mark of switching to Google Fiber. Unfortunately this won’t last too long. This is currently costing $70/month, but Google Fiber announced that during the summer of 2017 they’re going to switch so that 100Mbps up/down is $70/month. My current plan 1Gb up/down is going to cost a lot extra I think.

I guess I can stop being jealous. Cable around here is about the same price/speed.

This thread seems like as good a place as any: what’s a decent WiFi router these days that’s hopefully Google Fiber ready, but mostly Time Warner compatible and would handle a couple few devices Netflixing at once, or a Roku streaming 1080p video via Plex from another device on the network? I don’t mind paying extra to ensure I’m getting all the speed I paying for, but probably don’t need gee whiz features.

Use area is a 900 sq ft apartment, single story, but with some walls.

We have a whole thread keeping up on the latest and greatest ones here:
https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/wireless-router-recommendations

Do you need a cable modem as well, or are you good for that already?

Will keep the POS modem / router they “upgraded” me to last year. This purchase is largely motivated by a significant living room restructuring making it nearly impossible to run an ethernet cable to my desktop anymore :-(

What’s your budget? You can get a good list of reviewed routers at Small Net Builder.

I just put in Google WiFi and love it. A single one of those will set you back about ~$125. It is easy to set up and gives me full speed from a decent distance. Unlike you I had more to cover in my house, so I have 3 of them. When you add another, the create a wireless mesh, so you don’t need ethernet runs if you want to extend your wireless.

There are plenty of other makes and models though.

FIOS now offers gigabit for $70/month! Didn’t even need to use their router, it’s fiber to an ONT in my apartment. It’s goddamn spectacular.

My e-peen has grown immeasurably.

Best part was calling time-warner cable to cancel. Truly a pleasure.

Nice. Which cities are they rolling this out in? Not nationwide, surely?

For now, just New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Richmond, Va., Hampton Roads, Va., Boston, Providence and Washington, D.C. They do plan on it nationwide though.

I was paying $130/month for 300/30 at Time-Warner Cable. So $70 for symmetric gigabit is a smidge better.

Is this really $70/mo, or is this that crap offering that claims $70/mo, but it is really something like $180/mo after they pull their Verizon tricks? There were a number of articles this week about some new deceptive offering from them.

I don’t know about Verizon but with Comcast they lock you into a 3yr agreement for the $70 gigabit speed (or $60 for 300/30, which is what I have). On the plus side, they won’t increase the price every six months like with other promotions, and there are no data caps. I took this offer once I realized the Google Fiber rollout was going to take at least another three years, if it happens at all.

My full bill for months 1-12 is $72.48/month. Months 13-24 is $82.48/month. After that, they won’t tell me. But I can always cancel at that point if they try to screw me.

Note that is gigabit internet only, no TV or phone service, and I’m not renting a router-- I get gigabit ethernet directly out of the ONT.

There are no data caps with FIOS either.

You guys kill me. I’m out in the country & am living with 6mb on wifi. I remember when I started, it was phone line at 33K, then I was in heaven when ISDN came and I could get 128K, then wifi where I’ve been stuck.

I don’t see any change ever coming that’s going to improve this.