iOS Games Thread

That sounds absolutely like what I’d hope for… But no local best score tracking? That’s so mean!

Yeah, the game is good…it was nominated for kennerspiel des jahres, so that’s expected. But the app is very, very barebones.

I played a few games, and this is really, really interesting. The bonus and combos they generate is very exciting.
One aspect that isn’t explained in the rules is how the “foxes” are scored. I will probably look it up online.
I only wished it had the theme and music from A Fistful of Penguins.
And a hiscore track.

I referred to it above (obliquely). Foxes are worth the smallest value of all the zones. It is in the rules, but the rules translation is so poor, I don’t blame you for missing it.

Actually the rules don’t explain it that bad, considering the concept is quite weird and difficult to explain (“the least scoring category - what”) ! Even reading about it on Opinionatedgamers, I couldn’t quite make it out before analyzing the last scoring screen.

This thing is really addictive and so perfectly what I was hoping for. Thanks again for telling us about it!

I’d suggest playing this game on Easy mode for a start as you familiarize yourself with the various options and upgrade possibilities. The Easy mode does not throw you with lots of Special Enemies and there’s a lot more Health, Attack and Defense cards being drawn.

There’s tons of discussion in Touch Arcade if you are interested. https://toucharcade.com/community/threads/i-keep-having-this-dream-by-fireflame-games.282162/page-5

Managed a 264 last night, on a game I thought started poorly. I also used a 6 for the second die of the last round, thinking it was the third (effectively costing me a die). Really wish there was an undo.

I wish it was there too, but part of me understands how tricky it could be to implement. Because of the combos, this could become easily a programming nightmare, like the troublesome undo function for A Brief History of the World — they eventually got it mostly working. And I’d rather have no undo than a buggy undo function.
My best is still a puny 201.

I got a personal best 261 last night and seem to routinely be putting up 220+ now. It’s a nice game to play for a few minutes before I head to bed.

Donut Country is out now on iOS and a bunch of other platforms. It’s a cute looking little game where you move a hole around the screen swallowing up objects, the more you swallow, the bigger the hole gets, so you can swallow bigger objects, etc. Sort of a weird spin on a Katamari Damacy game, except the levels are much smaller affairs and there’s no time limit or anything you can do wrong as far as I can tell.

It’s published by Annapurna Interactive, so it’s got a little bit of indie cachet coming out of the gate, and I really liked Gorogoa, the last game I played from them.

But I’m going to say Donut Country is just okay. It looks nice, it’s pleasantly funny, but there’s really not much to this. I’m not done with it, but unless there are some big surprises, it doesn’t look like there’s much left ahead of me in the game. I don’t regret checking it out, but I’m not here to recommend it either.

It is a little interesting in light of the “controversy” earlier this year, when Hole.io topped iTunes Charts (not to be further confused with holedown, the similarly named but very different game we discussed in this thread recently). It’s also a game about swallowing increasingly large objects with a hole in the ground, and it seems a little premature to call that a genre, so there was some hand-wringing about App Store look-a-likes and clones and rip-offs and whatnot.

On Monday, [Donut Country developer Ben] Esposito tweeted about a clone of the game released by a publisher known as Voodoo.io. The iOS and Android app is called Hole. io, and unlike Donut County, there’s no storyline or characters, but the gameplay mechanism of being a hole and eating things to get bigger is the same.

“There are differences,” says Esposito. “Donut County is a story-based puzzle game, and Hole. io combines the premise of Donut County […] with the ‘.io’ king of the hill formula.”

So if you were eagerly awaiting the conclusion of that saga, here you go, check it out. But it’s probably not essential.

Unrelated: does anyone know how to force common markdown to not create a URL? The website for hole.io is not http://hole.io, it’s hole-io.com, but short of these ugly inline code-blocks (or inserting a space as I did in the Polygon quote) I couldn’t find a way to stop Discourse from treating the game of the game as a (wrong) link. @Clay, you’re a smart guy, any idea?

Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Put single tics around it: hole.io

`hole.io`

So, yeah… ugly code formatting FTW.

I’m in some classic RPG romp, and I was weighing my iPad options.
I have had Silversword (which was fine back then, I guess, but has terrible UI issues).
A friend showed me Avadon, which is surprisingly good, but a bit finicky, and I’m more in a first person mood lately, and Grimrock which would be perfect if its real-time combat didn’t stress me out.

I am eyeing The Quest, which looks quite neat, excepting for the fact it seems heavily influenced by The Elder Scrolls and thus might be trying to eat more than it can chew. Anybody played it? Are there other options?

The Quest is literally older than the iPhone itself. So maybe Daggerfall is an apt comparison. But unlike Daggerfall, The Quest is still in development. I’d say there has been plenty of time to chew whatever they bit off.

Be aware there is a Quest classic and a newer Quest with newer graphics. The older graphics aren’t horrible on a phone but there is a difference that is noticeable.

The one I am eyeing is the newer one (movement buttons on screen are important to me).

Silversword was pretty good I think. But party based like Wizardry not single player like Daggerfall.

Cat Quest is super cute and super fun.

I just DL’d the new Vampire’s Fall: Origins, which is free but without any FTP nonsense. Haven’t tried it yet, but it’s described as old school, turn-based.

From Pocket Tactics:

Vampire’s Fall: Origins is a surprisingly strong mobile RPG with lots of single-player content, sarcastic NPCs, a PVP mode, and plenty of room to improve over time. It’s built by a small indie crew and is completely free-to-play with no ads or freemium mechanics. The developers plan to add optional IAP down the road to support future development (implementing a clan system is one goal) but are dedicated to not mucking up the user experience. If you’re a fan of RPGs, especially on mobile devices, you should absolutely go grab this one.

Ah, this was off to such a strong start, but why did it have to be one of those infamous gamepad stick emulation instead of point and tap!

Well that from “Wooo, that looks interesting,” to “not even worth trying” pretty quickly.