iOS Games Thread

Maybe you can play live (never tried), but it’s definitely not async.

hey u guys whats this thread about

That is correct, TTR and TTR Pocket are live play only. No asynchronous play.

Just noticed that Worms 2: Armageddon has gotten updated with support for asynchronous multiplayer. Redownloading now, and will be up for games as soon as it’s ready.

Is Rad Soldiers still supposed to release this month?

I am looking forward to that game.

Two-player async is definitely supported on TTR Pocket from my personal experience. (I can’t speak to 3 or 4 players, although I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be doable). I think it would be pretty terrible to play at a turn a day, but splitting it up into two or three sessions works fine.

Aw, I saw it was on sale for $0.99, but it’s now up to $2.99. I used to really like the Worms games on PS2, but I haven’t had anyone to play with in awhile. If I’d known it was going to attract some Qt3 interest, I might have bitten for a buck, but at $3, I’d want to know I was going to play more than one person once in awhile.

On the plus side, it seems to be universal.

Thank you for New Star Soccer.
Great fun!

I’m interested in New Star Soccer, but confused: its listed as free, with in-game upgrade purchases. Yet one of the iTunes reviews mentions a .99c price. So:

–Are there two versions?
–Assuming there’s only one version, is possible to play far without making freemium purchases?

You can play 10 games in the career mode for free as well as an indefinite “arcade mode”.

The .99c IAP unlocks the career mode.

So it’s essentially a trial/unlock method.

A little stop by iTunes and I can answer my own questions:

There are not two versions. The free app gets you arcade mode. The real game, with career mode, is 99 cents. Beyond that, there are many variations of in-game purchases. But Owen of Pocket Tactics wrote:

This is where developers New Star Games have inserted an in-app purchase system, but it’s one that can be played around entirely. The impatient can use real cash to buy energy drinks, but the frugal customer just has to plan his time a little more thoughtfully.

EDIT: Larsen beat me to answering my own question.

Larsen, since you’re in the UK, is the app called New Star Football?

This review from the UK iTunes page is wonderful:

Unputdownable!

by Zapp83

I can’t leave this game alone. My children have aged and left home, I barely noticed. My wife left me for another man, I ne’er even raised an eyebrow. Bailiffs removed all my worldly possessions, save my kitchen stool and iPhone, I did not even dart a glance.

But, I have won the League Cup with Preston, so y’know…swings and roundabouts.

It’s definitely worth the $.99 for the New Star Soccer career mode. I played that thing to death.

It’s still called New Star Soccer even though the iOS version is by an English guy! Must be a franchise or something.

I’ve played coming up to 7 seasons in NSS and the only money I’ve spent was 99c on the career unlock and 99c on extra weather/pitches. I’ve maxed out my stats and won trophies without touching the energy drink IAP stuff. In fact, anyone who does that must be pretty bad at the game!

I can vouch for the awesomeness that is New Star Soccer…and I’m even Americanese.
SamF7

I mentioned NSS in the other thread, and it’s awesome.

Yeah, that was already stated, and I’m actually playing it right now. But it’s just incredible annoying that I had to buy TTR Pocket to play async when I already have TTR HD (not to mention the lack of retina graphics in TTR Pocket on my new iPad).

What Dreamshadow meant, was that you can play TTR and TTR Pocket against each other live only. So the mp modes between the versions are as follow:

TTR - TTR: Live
TTR - TTRP: Live
TTRP - TTRP: Live, Async

It is. The full PC versions are wonderful homages to Sensible Soccer; definitely try the demo of NSS5 if you’re interested in such things.

New Star Grand Prix is a highly enjoyable top-down MicroMachines type F1 racer from the same guy.

Anyone tried the New Star Tennis game? I love tennis sims. I see Out of Eight only gave it a 4. I usually find him reliable, so I’m going to probably skip it unless someone says it’s up there with New Star Soccer…

Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is Free!

Thanks for the heads up!

It is called “Magic 2013” in the app store. Took me a bit to find it.

It’s not really free.