iPad VPN? .

Ok I finally feel forced to get VPN going cause I can’t click some paradox links. Having 90% of YouTube blocked and not able to click any video posted here (hospital) is annoying too.

If anyone wants to help, just be forewarned I’m a bit slow. Hopefully this is something I could turn on and off easy and not cost much, or anything?
Txs :)

Tunnelbear is easy enough that my mother in law uses it to watch the BBC from Canada (she, adorably, calls it “watching Tunnel Bear”).

Recommended.

I have subscribed to Private Internet Access (PIA) for about a year. They have iPhone, iPad, Mac, and PC apps. Haven’t had any real technical issues since I started using it.

I’ve been using PIA for years. Works great.

Astrill has been excellent for me for the last 6 years or so.

I use PIA as well.

PIA here also. Tunnelbear is fine, but you pay a lot for their adorable marketing.

I’m going to cancel my tunnel bear since mcAfee just bought them.

I’ve just setup an openvpn on my home router.

What? Boo!

I use VyperVPN myself.

Yeah, they had nice UI and social media presence but McAfee totally sucks balls. I’m considering not renewing. But then again I’m still with LastPass.

Mcafee that’s owned by Intel now, or mcafee the crazy dude?

Hmmm, I can’t access the PIA website, unless that’s the wrong one. But that’s the message I get for half the Internet here.

Yeah seems likely that the hospital is man-in-the-middling you.

Go through the app store?

Ok don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that. So used to being PC. Speaking of which, can I switch this from iPad to PC with same account? That’d be too expensive for me to buy two, but it would be nice to access some Euro and Canadian content from my home when I get back.

Yes, PIA has apps for all platforms and you can log into your account from any device. Even multiple devices at the same time. They have a wide variety of geographic locations you can choose from.

@jpinard I have PIA installed on my gaming PC, my iPad, my wife’s iPad, her Mac Mini, and her iPhone. There’s been no issues with using multiple devices simultaneously. That said, I have noticed a few small gotchas:

• you can explicitly connect to any of their hosts (and there’s an ‘automatic’ choice that you default to that picks one for you). However, every once in a while I try to go to a regular website (say for Target) and find my IP is blocked. As it turns out, someone connecting to the host I’m connected to has done something to get PIA’s IP blacklisted. The solution to this is to change the host you’re connected to (and there’s like 30 choices so it’s no big deal). It’s just weird when you try to go to Target and see “your IP is blocked from this website.”

• every once in a while a connection gets clogged - won’t load sites and/or slows down. I noticed this happening more on my iPad when the connection is active and the iPad goes to sleep. Sometimes after waking it up the connection seems dead. The solution to this is recognizing that the VPN might be the issue and simply toggling the connection (off then right back on). Once you realize that, it only takes 10 seconds to fix it. I have never seen this on any other system.

Overall though, those are very small issues that affect like .5% of my time using PIA.

Yeah, I share my PIA account with my entire family and a couple friends. They allow 5 simultaneous logins.

Netflix will certainly be blocked on PIA. No way around that. Other sites are intermittently and rarely blocked.

Hospital wifi Internet is likely blocking VPN category of websites–I know we do it at work. Through the use of MitM-ing SSL decryption security appliance.

MITM is impossible unless they force users to install a cert on each machine.

If they’re just blocking VPNs, you can tell the client to connect to port 443 and it’ll look like normal SSL web traffic. That’s what I do at work.

Sorry, my response was a late reply for the page Jeff was showing before.