Ipod Touch shows up in Windows 7 as Digital Camera

Anyone seen this? All the solutions I’ve found on the web, Apple or otherwise, have not solved my problem.

I don’t want to wipe my Ipod. It still works fine. It just appears as a camera in Windows 7.

Have you installed iTunes? The iTunes package should include the appropriate drivers. Also, did you install the 64-bit version of iTunes if you’re running 64-bit Windows (as you should)?

Yes and Yes. I don’t even think the 32-bit installer will run on my machine.

Wait, when you say “appears as a camera” what exactly do you mean? My iPod touch shows a camera picture in the device list, too, but it says “Apple iPod” underneath. Since the iPod 4 does in fact include a camera that seems appropriate to me. If you right-click on the icon and choose “Browse Files” you can even browse your pictures in Windows Explorer.

We’ve discussed this recently. The iPod touch presents itself to Windows as a camera; my 2nd gen touch does this and I’d be surprised if 1st and 3rd gen touches don’t do the same. It’s normal behaviour, particularly when iTunes isn’t installed. Under Windows it’s also how you get your images (screengrabs and so on) off it.

My first gen does the same thing. I usually hit cancel on the Windows prompt, and let iTunes do its thing.

Yeah I don’t get a prompt. This is all new since I let iTunes update. I then stopped all apple,ipod, and itunes services, uninstalled all apple products, and installed itunes again. No dice, still appears as a camera.

I tried installing a proper device driver for the ipod. It won’t accept any other driver via device manager.

Note this ipod does not have a camera. It’s a 1st gen iPod touch, circa 2007

It looks like a camera because it has the DCIM interface for loading pictures off it.

It should ALSO look like an iPod.

but does it show up in itunes in addition? if so, this is working as intended.

Yep. Showing up as a camera is fine. Are you actually having any problems? Is it not showing up in iTunes?

Yeah it was not appearing in iTunes.

Prior to installing iTunes 10 the ipod used to appear as a USB storage device.

Turns out rebooting my computer solved the problem. GG me.

Quartertothree.com: the surprising alternative to actual troubleshooting. <IMPLIED SMILEY>

Ah rebooting. The solution to all of life’s ills.