Iratus - Like Darkest Dungeon but different

I like it a lot better than DD. There’s no grinding in this game. The dungeons are like Slay the Spire. You pick a path and only go forward until you reach the boss. No backtracking, no grinding mobs for XP. It’s also refreshing not having to manage all the various mental ailments you have in DD. I think they’ve concentrated on just having fun elements in the game and it all works remarkably well.

On my current run, I’ve made it past the 2nd boss and am now on the third level. There will be a total of 5 levels in the final game but in EA this is the last level. Some really interesting mobs on this level with some tough abilities.

The game is very polished. I haven’t run into a single bug or glitch so far. It’s better than many released games.

Yeah, this is a biggie for me. I’ve watched the first 7 Rhapsody videos. He’s struggling mightily, be I also think he”s really mismanaging the graveyard and resources.

That brings me to a question: which graveyard buildings do you guys prioritize? Seems to me that the building that gives you more architect souls should be top priority. And while the buildings that generate parts and items are great, their development shouldn’t come at the expense of the arena and mortuary. Thoughts?

Actually the Architect Souls building is the only one I still haven’t built. I’ve never had an issue with running low on them to build stuff so it hasn’t been high on my list.

My first priority is the building that allows minions to heal up completely in between battles (mortuary?). This is huge because you want your highest level and best units back in action ASAP. My second priority is the building that adds XP each battle for Iratus learning skills. I want those sweet skills ASAP. Some of them are game changers. I actually built the Arena kind of late but that’s only because I didn’t notice it sitting there for quite a while. The other one I like to build after Iratus gets some skills that use mana is the one that allows him extra mana recovery after battles. That helps a lot. As does the building that allows you to start battles with extra Wrath. Those are my priorities.

Ah, yeah, I forgot about the one that gives Iratus XP. Nice. It’s hard to read what stuff does when I’m watching someone else play.

I definitely second the Healing building. I am biased to pampering my minions, so I like the Experience building for them as well. I never have enough mana, so the mana refresh is also nice.

That is all preliminary for me though, because I just made it past the first boss this morning, and I don’t really know what works best yet. My pumped up minions did make short work of him. His lackeys couldn’t even touch most of mine.

I won the game on cakewalk last night and have started a game on more-pain difficulty. I never came close to finishing DD even once so there’s that. I just find this one to be much more fun.

That’s awesome.

I made it to the second boss on ‘more pain’ difficulty. It is more challenging but not so much it feels that different or that it’s unfair. I basically ran low on materials to make minions by the time I got the the end of the second level so when I lost to the boss with my A team, I didn’t really have a good B team to try him again with any hope of winning.

I started a new game today and just beat the first boss. I think I’m on a better strategy this time around but well see. I unlocked shades and, my goodness they are so good. I love this game.

In the last Rhapsody video I watched (9?) he barely finished a fight with one minion. It occurred to me he might have been better off wiping and then finishing the fight with a fresh team so they’d get some xp, especially since he has the passive that gives extra. On the one hand, seems cheap, but it also fits thematically.

sounds like the smart play, but I hate when a game tries to get you to not really play the game ‘right’.

Yeah, sure, but as I said, it actually fits thematically when you are the lord of the undead and minions are expendable commodities.

It doesn’t much matter which way you go on this. You only get a tick or two of XP from any one battle and you can almost get the same from sticking them in the Arena building. Plus, the most efficient way of leveling troops by far is to stick a leveled up brain in them. You can go right from level 1 to level 5 or 6 later in the game that way. For that reason early on I always get the skill that gives you a +50% chance of finding brains after a battle. So, Rhapsody may have played it the way he did because he had plenty of brains to spare.

I beat the third boss yesterday on cakewalk on my second try. I didn’t realize that heal-all spell included the good guys. I was a little disappointed to see my minions max out at level 7. Is that just for EA? I don’t see how level 7 minions will be taking on higher level opponents, let alone bosses.

On the other hand, they have it set up now so you only get to level up each skill once. Maybe they’ll just retard leveling, but make them more powerful for release?

Either way, the game was fun on cakewalk. Should be more fun on higher difficulties, but I’ll wait until they add some more stuff before taking another run through the game. I’m looking forward to unlocking some more minion-types. I’ll need to figure out how you achieve the Vampire and Damphire (sp?) unlocks.

For vampires there’s a spell (magic tree I think) that you cast on an enemy when they are about to flee battle. If they flee with the spell on them, you get a free vampire after the battle.

For the Dhampir, you need to drive one insane as the last enemy in battle. If you do, she will leave the battle and be recruited by you on her next turn.

Pretty cool mechanics.

I wondered if there would be a spell involved. Thanks for the info!

I really found myself favoring physical/magical damage over stress damage on cakewalk. I’m guessing combined arms will likely be more important on the higher difficulties.

He didn’t at the time, iirc. And had no backup troops. He’s been struggling mightily through the second floor with a number of party wipes. Don’t think he has even unlocked the arena, which is one of the things I would do quite differently.

Whew! I just made it past the 2nd boss on ‘more pain’ on my first try this run. I changed things up and used 2 vampires and 2 zombies and it worked pretty nicely. Rhapsody really undervalues zombies for some reason. They’re fantastic if you build and use them right. The second boss takes -100 HP damage every time one of his machines are destroyed so having two zombies bombarding away from the back lines did the job pretty quick once they got going.

I’m in great shape now moving into the last level. I have 2 full level 5 teams intact and plenty of parts. I have all 4 slots unlocked in the wrath building which gives me 48 wrath at battle start, enough to proc my vampire ultimate skill on the first turn which is key. They’re practically unkillable once they start leeching health on hit. Crits are the big thing that can ruin your day but I found an artifact which reduces all enemy crits by 20% which has been very helpful. I haven’t found the artifact that heals everyone 15% after a battle, unfortunately. Still, that has forced me to build multiple teams which should hopefully payoff in the long run.

I think zombies are my favorite, but Death Knights are wonderful tanks, so probably a close second favorite.

I love the animation of the zombie loading more shot into his cannon on his stackable buff.

Tom will be streaming this on Wednesday!

@Coldsteel, based on the patch notes since release, including today’s patch notes, and Steam comments I’ve read, I’m concerned Unfrozen is making the game too easy to placate those who’ve given the game a thumbs-down review. With Darkest Dungeon, Red Hook somewhat accommodated those who wanted an easier/less grindy experience, but kept the game challenging.

Are you concerned they’re making the game too easy?