Irrational's New "MYSTERY" Title

Take Two own Rockstar, correct? And Rockstar own DMA? Small, slight possibilty of a Lemmings update?

Hang on- going on the staff requirements, my guess is Hidden and Dangerous.
Anyone else agree?

As much as I like the series, only people from certain countries in Eastern Europe would consider H&D a “best loved PC franchise”. ;)

-Julian

Why? Buying a company prevents a company from doing something else?

The Baldur’s Gate stuff can also be tossed as Atari still owns the D&D stuff (as evidenced by their recent decision to stop NWN module development).

No, it doesn’t. It ended with NWN2.

Based on speculation on another board, it seems like Max Payne is a strong possibility as the IP is owned by Take 2 and fits the Unreal 3 engine. Other than that it depends on what Microprose IP that Firaxis may have gotten when they split from Atari or what may have been purchased from Atari recently.

I’m going with System Shock 3 or Freedom Force 3 at this point. Chick said ecstasy, and I don’t think Max Payne is particularly ecstasy-inducing. Lots of love for SS and FF, though. Both fit the bill pretty well for that job description quote about mechs and shit. You can imagine giant robots in either game world, since they have appeared in some form already.

E.A. own the System Shock rights, don’t they? I understand they renewed them recently (or something along those lines) so unless there has been a stealth sell…

Mech. can also mean mechanised- as in mechanised infantry (APC supported infantry) or cavalry/armour (tanks and stuff). To me, the phrase ‘Mech and Tech’ (sic) means mechanical and technical, rather than big stompy suits.

EDIT: Who is creating SWAT 5?

Well, being owned by Take 2 would mean that T2 would have to acquire the property too and I don’t see Microsoft, which is still actively making Battletech and other FASA properties, yielding that to another publisher. And even though Ultima is currently dormant, I wouldn’t expect EA to give it up to Take 2. Hell if the Ultima IP were on the market, I’d expect Garriot to push NCSoft to pick it up.

Can you say if anyone on this thread is right or on the right track? You don’t have to say who…

Dude, we’re an enthusiast press! This isn’t real journalism, and anyone who betrayed a confidence like that wouldn’t be told anything again.

Personally, I respect 2K Games’ marketing schedule and I don’t consider it my business to disrupt that. I will, however, happily trash a 2K Game I don’t like. How’s that for hard-hitting journalism? Let’s see how tough those pansies Woodward and Bernstein were on Top Spin 2!

-Tom

Why is it odd? I know dozens of games that are in various stages of development that haven’t been announced. Half may be canceled. Half are 2008 games.

So while it might be in our interest to publish this type of info, what benefit to a reader does “sources say, the next game from Irrational will be Ken Levine’s Sid Meier’s Civilization V: A Brian Reynolds design? Ohmygod, isn’t that cool?!” We’re not talking about politics here, where sources are typically giving out information that’s actually important. This would be the equivalent of celebrity gossip. In this case, it’s just a game that won’t be out for two years. Why start the hype ahead of schedule?

Didn’t some mags mention Fallout 3 when Van Buren was in the works, or was that after it was cancelled and Beth got the rights?

This is Irrational Australia, right? Obviously they needed to set up offices near Cleve so they could work closely with him on Grimoire II.

Hey if it’s that then I’ll apply. If I can’t work with the crazy that is Mr Smart I’ll work with the crazy that is Cleve.

Also hello - theblackw0lf <_<

Yup. Van Buren was Fallout3 and Jefferson was Baldur’s Gate 3. Or so sez RPGDot.

The coolest thing about games is that you can pretty much pick any reasonably popular title and say, “Sources report that work has started on a new version of XXXX.”

Actually, the big scoop would be that a company isn’t working on a sequel to one of its past hits, or resurrecting some popular past franchise.

Take Two own Rockstar, correct? And Rockstar own DMA? Small, slight possibilty of a Lemmings update?

Lemmings is owned by Sony, not DMA/Rockstar.

Are the rights to Interstate '76 still with Activision? A true sequel to I’76 would rock.

THE REAL ULTIMA X?

etc

Yes, yes it would… and as far as I know they still do :(

The only way for another Interstate 76 game to come into being is to have Taurus voiced by Tony Hawk or Bam Magera.

It didn’t end with NWN2 because they have a PSP tactics D&D title coming out this year as well.

Do you have a link to Atari’s supposed loss of the D&D rights? I’ve not seen any press about this and googling brings up the fact that as of last June Atari and Hasbro had agreed to a 10 year extension of Atari’s rights on D&D, although Atari did give back many other Hasbro properties at that time. Atari’s own investor relations press releases talk about other money making sell-offs they’ve engaged in this year, but D&D rights are not mentioned.

Ah, my info is old, then.

MS and FASA aren’t developing ANY Battletech properties ATM. The excuse given was that “gamers perceive this type of title to be their fathers game etc” and that they probably won’t be revisiting the series until they can make it appeal to a wider audience. It’s apparent Mechassault 2 didn’t even do that well.