Is America there firstest with the mostest?

Evidently the GOP thinks so, and thinks that Obama doesn’t think so, which makes him Gaw-dayum UnAmurrican!

So this makes me wonder: what do you all think? Is America the “greatest country in the world”? And is believing that a necessity for the president?

For the record, what Obama said was:

Does this make him an un-American bastard or doesn’t it? Gonna try to combine two, two, TWO polls in one here, so it’s multiple choice. Also made your responses public to increase humor value!

I’m not sure about the political/emotional issues involved as I don’t live in the US, but I’d think that by most modern metrics (GDP, Military Readiness, Infant Mortality, Average Income etc.) that America would have to rank at the top. It certainly isn’t number 1 in every category for sure, ie. some Scandinavian countries very likely beat it on certain metrics, but if you were to average it out and weight it for population I’d think it’s still the primary Superpower.

That said, it certainly seems to be facing some stiff competition, if not from other nations then from regional blocs.

And I highly doubt Obama doesn’t feel similarly. Humility is not a vice.

Nice! Skorin and tiohn voted for all five options. Way to shit up the poll, guys! Glad I made it public :-)

Note that the “debate” isn’t about whether the US actually is exceptional, but rather whether the Prez chants “USA! USA! USA!” enough to appease the ghost of St. Ronnie. Because the people pushing this would never think to question whether the US is number #1 in the first place … and wouldn’t believe the facts if someone told them.

(Hint: We’re not actually #1 at much except total GDP, military spending, morbid obesity, and complacency about how awesome we are. Norway has higher per capita GDP than us, a whole bunch of countries have higher household income, most of the OECD lives longer, all of Western Europe has lower infant mortality, Canada has a higher percentage of college graduates, etc. etc. etc.)

Wish I’d thought of that.

My problem with American exceptionalism is not based on whether they are number one or not. Because I am certain that when other countries such as China and India gradually surpass the US in these sectors, the idea of exceptionnalism will remain. Because a large portion of americans believe that the US is actually a gift from God and that He is what makes it all great.

Obama probably has a lot of internal pressure to be more rah-rah-rah usa usa, and I admire his pragmatism.

America is pretty great, but I hardly think it can lay claim to being the greatest country in the world.

Also epic humility fail. Making claims like that just pisses the rest of the world off.

[QUOTE=squirrel;2507902]I’m not sure about the political/emotional issues involved as I don’t live in the US, but I’d think that by most modern metrics (GDP, Military Readiness, Infant Mortality, Average Income etc.) that America would have to rank at the top. [QUOTE]

Guess which one of the above doesn’t belong? It’s hard, at times, to avoid the suspicion that America’s become a classic imperial state, but with a startling degree of denial about this fact.

America sucks, as do Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Africa. The Antipodes also suck, and Antarctica and the Moon double suck. The only good humans are professional wrestlers.

Worst. Poll. Evar.

“The wind doesn’t blow, the Earth sucks!”

Then which country is better? The answer “all countries are great in their own way!” is garbage.

In my mind, I would rather live in the US than anywhere else, so it’s the greatest. Certainly, others may disagree… Which is good, because everyone can’t come over here.

Oh noes!

I was born, lucky me
In a land that I love…

Wait 'till you get sick.

Ya… turns out that I’m one of the vast majority who actually has good healthcare. So I’m cool with that.

I know that lots of folks out there seem to think that we just throw our sick onto big pyres and burn them, but the horror stories you hear about our healthcare system? Those stories really aren’t the NORM.

All those people who say they have good healthcare? Yeah, a ton find out after they get seriously ill that it wasn’t so good after all.

Newsweek already sorted this out. Finland is the best country on earth.

http://www.newsweek.com/photo/2010/08/15/best-countries-in-the-world.html

The way I heard it was “there is no gravity, the Earth just sucks.”

As someone with dual citizenship who has lived in both countries, I can vouch for this.

It’s pretty cold here and somewhat boring, but your chances of getting completely fucked over are much lower.

Hell, when my brother broke his arm, it cost him as much here to do all the xrays and checkups here as it did just to take the cast off when we were back in the US.