Is Arrested Development the best thing on TV?

I’m five episodes into season five, and I like it.

There’s a lot of recapping and setup in the first few episodes, so it may be a slow start depending on how recently you’ve seen season four. The new season picks up mostly about two months after the events of season four (with a few flashbacks to the interim), and it’s moving ahead with some plots that come straight out of that season, but it’s handling them well, and there’s no sign of some of the fourth season storylines I really personally disliked.

But whatever you think of the stories, it’s wonderful to have everyone back and interacting as an ensemble. If it holds up for the rest of the season, I’ll be first in line for season six.

And the winner of the “wow, the years between seasons have not been kind to you” award this time around is Will Arnett.

First few episodes are a little rocky, but I just watched episode 4 and I laughed out loud at least five times.

My son and I watched and enjoyed the first three last night. I’m really excited to dive back in tonight. :)

I missed this when it was new and never got around to watch it until now. How did I miss this?!

It’s probably too late to save anyone who was interested, but the second half of season 5 was awful. Almost unwatchable. So much worse than season four or the first half of season 5.

Please, just don’t watch it. Arrested Development ended after three seasons, let’s all try to believe that.

Please don’t watch Arrested Development season 5.

I tried watching a few of the “new” episodes when they came out but couldn’t get into it. The original series remains canon for me! Thanks for letting me know it never gets better so I can keep working on my massive show backlog.

Yes, thanks for taking one for the team.

Well, last episode has one interesting thing. They also show a bunch of backstory and make it much more obvious what type of awful people they are.

You find out what happens to Lucille Austero.

Buster did it.

Agree to disagree that that was interesting.

Well now I have to watch it. Thanks Obama!

I hated that ending, it felt completely out of character. Really, the whole half season didn’t do much for me but I finished out of obligation. Thankfully it felt like everything was wrapped up and with the poor reception I think this one is done.

It’s not a great season. Overall, just not funny. I think if someone doesn’t want to watch it it’s ok to click the spoilers to see that last unresolved thread.

So sad. At least I can watch my mancrush Jason Bateman on Ozark.

And I can watch my man crush Will Arnett on Bojack. All right, listen to him.

I enjoyed the fifth season well enough. Not the magic of the original seasons, but I laughed a bit.

My son and I watched it and this is where we landed - we got a good bit of fun and laughs and were sad when it was over, but thought the ending was really on point for where the last two years took things. I don’t think we thought it was better than, say, Brooklyn Nine Nine or other comedies we are watching, but it was well worth seeing these characters again (probably one last time).

Obviously, Bojack is awesome, but I also felt Will Arnett had some of the absolute best moments on this last half of season 5, fwiw.

I had never bothered watching Arrested Development Seasons 4 and 5 since they didn’t get a very positive reaction here among the show’s fans.

But Netflix is removing them mid-March so I thought I’d give it a try as it’s my last chance to see for myself.

So far, 3 episodes in, Season 4 remix is just like the first 3 seasons. It’s mildly amusing throughout, like previous seasons, and it just feels the same, as if it never went on hiatus.

I’m very impressed.

Arrested Development is “mildly amusing”? Wow, I’m having a hard time thinking of a show that’s given me more laughs per minute than AD. I didn’t know it was leaving Netflix though, bummer.

The remixed season 4 is a very good season brought down by a ton of repetitive flashbacks in later episodes. I criticized Stranger Things for doing the whole constant flashbacks (of events from just a season or two ago) but AD goes absurdly overboard with the flashbacks AND recaps (which they never did in the previous 3 seasons).

I did enjoy the remix more than the original season 4, but it needed some serious editing.