Is Lovecraft too racist for gaming?

After seeing the incomprehensible statement, now, without
thinking further, he would go home to his room. He would lie in the bed and
finally, with daylight, he would go to sleep. After all, he said to himself, it’s
probably only insomnia. Many must have it.

Not a lot of that to be found, in my experience.

Yeah. I didn’t even know about his strange politics until after I met him but I wasnt exactly shocked. To defend him for a second here though (given the topic at hand) I want to make it clear I am not accusing him of being a racist in anyway shape or form. Just an equal opportunity asshole on that day :)

@divedivedive lol :0 Thanks, fixed it, although leaving it as “Norma” was tempting for a moment there. He would be rolling his his grave :)

Forget all this; here CNN is reporting weird stuff in the Antarctic!. We’re doomed.

Whatever it is you can bet it is cyclopean and squamous.

According to the historical texts, At the Mountains of Madness, the hum is the echo of the six foot albino penguins hooting in fear as the shoggoths hunt them down. They are deep in the ice, at the edges of the Antarctic, for now. As the ice melts they will be exposed to the sun once again. The shoggoths were controlled via the minds of the Old Ones. But they became too wild to control.

Understand that they were used as machinery to move the cyclopean stones that built the cities of the ancients. They are unstoppable monsters.

It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train—a shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over the tunnel-filling front that bore down upon us, crushing the frantic penguins and slithering over the glistening floor that it and its kind had swept so evilly free of all litter.

— H. P. Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

We should hope that global warming wipes man from the face of this, out home, our Earth. This before the shoggoths rise from the melted ice, and use as their food… their slaves. Their… toys.

Otherwise, we cool.

Edit: Quick note. Stones are cyclopean. Shoggoths are not squamous. Squamous describes a scaly body. They are bubbly and more like an amoeba. While squamous sounds squirmy, it isn’t.

Personally I’m waiting for Azathoth.

Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

This could also be a Whovian problem.

See this is why I just cant be hating on the Cthulhu mythos. Its just SOOO bad ass.

Sorry, too much editing above.

The editing was tentacle-like.

Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator

http://www.darkicon.com/lovecraft.htm

Example Creation:

The salty coin

Oh, the carelessly nearest germ of it ALL! When an insignificance behind a void hibernates, a twisted nation panics. Sometimes a somewhat earth-threatening squid dreams, but soon I was to find that the case near another sanity always peeked at the cryptic fear! When a canyon related to the memory procrastinates, an earthy abnormality prays. Oh, the treacherous sanity of it ALL! Indeed, the hellish vista of an insidious abyss was salty. It took no stoic monstrosity to make me overwhelmingly summon some engine, but the imaginative lover was mouldering. Most people believe that a myth cooked and ate the flesh of a wedge toward an automobile, but the revered doorstep is much more insidious. A smelly figure pierced the black, beating heart of the library related to the memory. It took no dreaded book to make me secretly view the hideous offspring of the unbearable figure, but the cold demon was typical. If the building lectured at long length about the mulch, then a doorstep hides. If a coin cooked and ate the flesh of a mortician, then the science flies into a rage. The clock about a submarine inexorably recognized the unstable phantasm. It was the history out of a thing, but now I had no choice but to accept the fact that the burden of a wedge was indeed geological as well as hardly mouldering! Indeed, the dreamlike delicacy of an outer Elder Sign was surly. The ritual helped contain the the accurately eldritch voice. A tomb was moldy. When the secretly infected recording is stoic, the salty annihilation barely formed an uncomfortable alliance with the source beneath a nightmare. When the broken ocean is subconscious, an accurately unbearable rock sucked the life from a void.

I know. I am an unabashed Lovecraft fan. And I know all about his problems. I am not so much a fan of his more, shall we say, troublesome works. Nor am I a fan of his creatures flying with fucking wings between galaxies. I read his work as a child for the first time. Mountains of Madness, scared the crap out of me. And now people tell me that it’s too long. Or boring.

Mountains never did it for me, personally. Even as a youth. I found it ponderous. I can make fun of him all day long, but the one story he wrote that really scared me was The Dreams in the Witch House.

Horror and supernatural-wise, I have always been an M.R. James guy, far more than a Lovecraft guy.

So props to the British, @Rod_Humble

Oh wow, I confess I have never read him. i will correct that error now however, thank you!

Like most of the classics, lots of his stuff is free on Amazon thanks to expired copyrights.

Dreams in the Witch House is still one of the best scary tales evah.

Is that the one with the giant elbow?

The BBC for years did a “Ghost Story at Christmas” series in the 70s, that faded out, and then came back in the last 10-15 years. Priceless gems of James’ marvelously adapted.

Here are links to a few of the better ones on Youtube. Quite a few actually are available there.

1970s

The Stalls of Barchester

A Warning to the Curious

Lost Hearts

The Treasure of Abbot Thomas

Recent Ones

Number 13

A View From A Hill

The Tractate Middoth

I am seriously considering starting a thread. We write a Lovecraftian story. Each taking a turn. Perhaps a sign up? Then it’s just for the people who wish to do it. No extraneous commentary. There have been forum games that did this. Hopefully members would respect it. Thoughts?

Maybe? It’s more about dreams and dimensional travel. Kind of? It’s uncertain, ill-defined take on what happened adds to its horror.

Maybe…if it was broader than Lovecraft. I’d give a spin at James or another Horror/supernatural/Gothic writer.