Is my HDD dying?

This seems to be the year of hardware failures for me. My desktop just blue screened out of nowhere with a WHEA Uncorrectable Error code, and then would only boot into the BIOS, which couldn’t detect any bootable devices. Not looking good for my less than a year old SSD. So I opened up the case, reseated the SSD, and gave the fans/heatsink a good dusting as well while I was in there. It’s booting again, and Event Viewer isn’t showing anything unusual at all at the time of the BSOD (nor is there a minidump), so other than general disk checks I’m not sure what more I can do to diagnose unless it craps out again.

As I understand it, event viewer would need to load the Windows kernal for it to register. Here’s hoping the reseating solved it, but I agree it doesn’t sound wonderful. Could be the drive, could be the motherboard. If it happens again and you have a second socket, it might be worth trying that for the drive; if it works without issue, that sounds like a motherboard problem at that point. Regardless, not a great feeling either which way for obvious reasons.

FWIW, the SMART info doesn’t seem to have any red flags.

That’s something, at least; SMART gives a lot of false negatives (saying it’s fine when it’s not), but rarely gives false positives so keep periodically checking.

And so it continues. Had a real scare this week after my NAS stopped working and then seemed to cause a power surge, tripping my RCD. It seems the power brick died, taking out the circuit breaker in the process. I wasn’t even aware that was a thing that could happen. Anyway, one replaced power brick (and fuse, possibly pointlessly) later, it’s working again and the drives all seem to be fine. I was really worried that it might have fried the NAS, or even worse, the drives.

On the plus side, haven’t had any more BSODs.

Sounds like the circuit breaker did its job and saved you a lot of headaches and money. That’s scary.