Is the FDA broken?

Seems like they’re approving a lot of drugs that literally don’t work.

…not to mention all the Alzeimer’s ones.

On the good side, they tracked down that lead poisoning in cinnamon through all the international suppliers and manufacturers.

I think the job has gotten huge.

Yes.

Having worked in both the food and drug industries, yes.

They just don’t have enough power and workforce to do their job effectively.

The drug side is also way too cozy with drug manufacturers, and that really is obvious with some of these drugs that have been approved.

John Oliver did a segment on the food side of this topic back in October. I submit the following video as proof of my claim:

I’m not saying “food regulation doesn’t matter,” but I do wonder whether some element of Oliver’s video is edging into fear mongering.

For instance, parts are taking about how 5 people died from food borne illness from eating lettuce last year. Is that bad? I feel like if we’re talking about hundreds of millions of people… 5 people dying is kind of immaterial.

It certainly doesn’t suggest that we should think that we are taking our lives in our hands when eating lettuce.

It also makes me wonder whether it’s a super new problem, or whether such a thing happened before and we just had no idea because we didn’t have the 24 hour news cycle needing to tell everyone to be afraid of everything.

Well it would be important to base that on yearly trends. Is it up from 10 or 20 years ago?

I think it’s both. Adulteration always happened in foods but at the same time you never heard the cases when people did get sick. I grew up in a poor place with bad food and low refrigeration. People got sick all the time.

The standards on what food sickness is thought are different. E Coli in lettuce is not great but it’s easily avoided by washing and /or cooking vegetables. Not great if you put stuff in sandwiches or salads thought I guess.

Meanwhile, turmeric is constantly adulterated with lead because it makes it look pretty yellow. Apparently Bangladesh had a campaign against it that worked really well. India has not. Maybe I should toss the turmeric I have. Well, I’m already old and dumb by now, probably too late.

Uh, who cooks lettuce again?

I do? It is rare for me to eat salads.

Lettuce is cooked in a lot of Asian food, and it’s actually too bad that American cooking doesn’t often use it except in salads.

And of course you share this the night before I planned to make a turmeric heavy curry.

I see what you did there. Well played.

I do. Last time was 2 weeks ago.

Whenever I make Moroccan Style Pasta