Israel bans Arab political parties

Silly is replying without reading the original post carefully. I was referring to another political party, whose name I specifically mentioned in my post.

Hopefully the oil will run out soon and that part of the world can be left alone. My guess is Israel will sometime in the future surround themselves with a nuclear “moat” a couple of hundred miles wide. Kaboom!

Excuse me, referring to Stalin’s political party? Something else? There is not a single political party currently on the face of the earth that can be usefully combined in a sentence with the Stalin-era communist party. It’s just as silly asgoing for the Hitler comparision.

<shrug> I am sorry but you seem to be very ignorant of political parties “currently on the face of the earth”. Some of them make Soviet Union’s Communist Party pale in comparison.

Let me know if you need examples, but if I would be in your shoes I would backpedal from your earlier statements very quickly…

Yes, I’m sure your scorn is withering, but I’ll bite even if McCullough won’t. Who in the world compares unfavorably with the Stalin-era Soviet Union?

Robert Mugabe and ZANU perhaps?

I’m fairly certain I’d rather live in Stalin’s Russia than Mugabe’s Zimbabwe.

Is the Objectively Wrong Opinions thread still running? Because I have a submission to make!

You probably need to be more specific. There’s a pretty big difference between living in the Ukraine in 1933 and living in Moscow in 1949. Same with Harare 1989 vs. Harare 2009. And all of those places are more livable than Gaza City 2009 (well, Ukraine in the famine is probably six of one, half dozen of the other. At least Stalin wasn’t bombing it!)

Anyway that’s far afield from the actual point, that Balad and Hadash are supposedly lying when they state their goal of a democratic society. However, from everything that’s been written and stated, that’s not the case. If for no other reason, a truly democratic, religious- and ethnic-neutral society would greatly benefit their Israeli Arab electorate, while living in an Islamic dictatorship a la Hezbollah or Hamas would not. Both parties have also supported a two-state solution and rejected attempts by Avigdor Lieberman to fob off the Israeli Arab minority on the Palestinians in a land swap.

Still there’s sympathy for the Palestinians on the other side, but that’s entirely understandable, and should be easily grokked by a people who have raised the question “Is X good for the Jews?” to the status of a bad joke.

ZANU-PF has gotten more than 30 million people killed?

Does the argument that “some politician lied in history therefore this politician is probably lying also” equally apply to those that you support? Can we argue that if the Republican party says it supports equality for all, that it probably means they support slavery, because Stalin lied? Can we argue that the Israeli parties all support ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, because even if they say they support Palestinian rights, they are obviously lying, because Stalin lied?

Even when put in beautiful language, this effectively means no Jewish country.
(Right half goes to Palestinians, left half goes to another Palestinian majority)
Since the country is defined as a Jewish Democracy this in fact undermines the existence of the country, which is against the law (Undermining either Jewish or democratic).

You can note that a party like Hadash, also considered an “Arab party” was never close to his situation, probably because its people don’t tend to support terror against Israel as a mean to accelerate processes.

EDIT: Actually, I could really live if those parties got banned and all their votes went to Hadash, could make a much prettier Israel, for both Jews and Arabs IMO.

I don’t understand your argument. The only thing that makes sense is your suggestion that they would do away with the idea of a “Jewish” state. While that might be illegal in Israel, it’s hardly surprising that Arabs (who are Muslims and Christians) would oppose that. I think it is also their right to oppose that.

That doesn’t mean that they want to “kill the Israelis” as you say, or that they want an undemocratic nation (they state the complete opposite). They just want a different kind of Israel, and one that isn’t specifically Jewish, Muslim or Christian sounds more democratic to me than the present system.

Hell, I’m against the idea of a Jewish state. Or a Christian state. Or a Muslim state. Or a Buddhist state.

Religion has no formal place in governance.

Does that make me a damn dirty terrorist out to kill Israel?

Obviously, it sounds all nice to you.
For me, as secular as I am, it’s important to keep Israel as a Jewish country, even though it has its disturbing sides.
They see in their vision a future when Jews are nothing more than a minority, and BTW, living under Azmi’s Biashara or Ibrahim Sarsur as a minority doesn’t sound attractive.
They’re enlightened and educated people as long as it comes to hating Jews and loving Arabs, they would not criticize Hamas for anything of its vile tactics, limiting of religion, degrading of women etc… but will be the first to complain that they don’t have some equal right in Israel (While of course strongly opposing national service by Arabs, after all equality is a key subject here).
These parties and their likes are the main reason Arab communities drag behind the general population in Israel, they encourage crying, laziness and a 3rd world family centered fundamentalist culture. They’re not pro-equality, they’re pro-more rights to Palestinians, less rights to Jews, all they need is a brake.

I have personally no problem in letting them run for elections, I think it’s fair actually. But they’re disgusting war-mongering people, no better than the other side (probably worse).

Keep in mind Jewish is also a race. Most Jews in Israel are secular.
(Yes, I would love if all countries had no ethnicity and whatever… but we need a few more centuries for that dream to materialize at least)

Wow.5

Got a better reason than “It’s important to me!”

They see in their vision a future when Jews are nothing more than a minority, and BTW, living under Azmi’s Biashara or Ibrahim Sarsur as a minority doesn’t sound attractive.

Well, hey now, that’s the whole reason Israel isn’t secular? Sounds kind of racist to me. Why should the majority be disenfranchised for following a different creed from a particularly violent minority that happens to have tanks?

They’re enlightened and educated people as long as it comes to hating Jews and loving Arabs, they would not criticize Hamas for anything of its vile tactics, limiting of religion, degrading of women etc… but will be the first to complain that they don’t have some equal right in Israel (While of course strongly opposing national service by Arabs, after all equality is a key subject here).
These parties and their likes are the main reason Arab communities drag behind the general population in Israel, they encourage crying, laziness and a 3rd world family centered fundamentalist culture. They’re not pro-equality, they’re pro-more rights to Palestinians, less rights to Jews, all they need is a brake.

Getting… a little racist.

I have personally no problem in letting them run for elections, I think it’s fair actually. But they’re disgusting war-mongering people, no better than the other side (probably worse).

Oh hey now. Disgusting? Warmongering? A little bit uncalled for!

They favour a two-state solution, which would keep the Arabs a minority in Israel… you seem to say a lot of things that don’t have any basis in fact.

To be fair, they also support an unlimited right of return for Palestinian refugees to Israel proper, which Israeli right wingers see as demographically threatening.

(In reality it’s hard to believe millions of Palestinian refugees would flood into a Jewish state.)

Even if every single refugee of the largest estimate were to come back, the Arabs would only be approaching parity. If their aim was overwhelming the Jews with non-Jews, you would think they would support a single state, rather than only the right of return.