It’s the 20:20 movie frame game of 2018!

You only need to see The Day if you’re an Ashley Bell completionist. Which is the same thing as an Ashley Bell fan. She’s awesome in it. Otherwise, it’s just a garden-variety YA cannibal apocalypse siege movie.

-Tom

I second Navaronegun’s recommendation to check out Madre asap. It was a huge influence on P.T. Anderson’s There Will Be Blood, and features three career-best performances from Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt (from The Magnificent Amberson fame), and the director’s father Walter Huston in an Academy Award-winning supporting role shortly before he passed away.

Here’s the new 20:20

I’m getting an Antonioni vibe, but the hair is probably too short for this to be Monica Vitti.
L’Eclisse?

A great guess, but it’s not L’Eclisse.

Hmmm…Fallen Idol?

I don’t know it, but that’s an artfully composed shot. I’m really curious.

That transfer looks gorgeous too. I also have no idea what it is, but I’d wager it’s out on Criterion.

Yes to both. The snow is throwing me off…

No correct guesses yet. Here’s the 40:40.

The Servant? Where’s Dirk Bogarde?

Forget her name, but she was in Blow Up.

Nailed it! The frames were from Joseph Losey’s The Servant (1963) based on a screenplay by Harold Pinter, and shot while the American director was in exile in Europe.

60:60

80:80 (not a great shot sorry)

100:100 (Dirk made himself scarce until the final frame)

Phenomenal cast in that one. I have a man-crush on the Fox brothers.

Here’s the new 20:20, my brothers:

A Clockwork Orange!

“Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man.”

The Olde English (A Milk plus Synthemesc ):

“Who are you!? How the hell did you get in here!?”

The Dr. Brodsky (24*):

“Instruct thy son and he shall refresh thee and shall give delight to thy soul.”

The 1hr21minBeethoven9th:

“Padre, there are subtleties! We are not concerned with motives, with the higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime and with relieving the ghastly congestion in our prisons. He will be your true Christian, ready to turn the other cheek, ready to be crucified rather than crucify, sick to the heart at the thought of killing a fly. Reclamation! Joy before the angels of God! The point is that it works.”

The Two Alexes:

“This is to make sure you stay cured.”

The Bargain (Catch-22 Area Code);

“I came back to life, after a long, black, black gap of what might have been a million years.”

“I’ve taught you much, my little droogies. Now tell me what you have in mind, @charmtrap ?”

It’s Friday night…time to sharpen up, get ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence. In the meantime, new 20.

Dazed and Confused?

Not that.

40 here: