It’s time for the 2018 Quarterlies! Vote for Quarter to Three’s Best Game of 2018

I’m surprised ZeroRanger has any popularity given how hard it is. I’m credit feeding like crazy just to get to stage 5.

I really like that idea too!

1. Rimworld
  2. Subnautica
  3. Battletech
  4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance

I played so much Rimworld (and Oxygen not Included but it’s still early access so it isn’t on the list) there is no 5. Those two games have done wonders for my gaming budget.

1. Battletech
  2. Rimworld
  3. Slay the Spire
  4. They Are Billions

That’s all I was able to play this year :(

Well, at least you played the best of the best. I don’t see any Shaq-Fus, Agonies, or Fallout 76s on your list. So you’ve got that going for you.

I gotta tell you guys, watching this stuff in real time is a freaking roller coaster.

That is a great idea.

I didn’t play enough 2018 releases to really have an opinion on which is the best game of 2018. One game I came back again and again is the rogue-like RTKX rerelease from 10 years ago. Or Steep. All bite size gaming, all past releases.

If there were a category for most improved game of 2018 I’d have to go with The Long Dark. I’m playing through post-update story mode and the improvements really make a difference.

1. Slay the Spire
  2. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  3. Railway Empire
  4. Into the Breach
  5. Subnautica

Great to hear. I played a half dozen hours of sandbox when I got it years ago, but then set it down to wait for the campaign to mature. Sounds like it’s time to jump back in.

Yeah once remastered episode 3 is out I am diving into that game.

Thanks for the description of Lamplight City, Jack! I’m actually not sure I can stomach the idea of carrying on with the story after fumbling an early investigation. But that feels like my fault, not the game’s. Still, I’m sure I’ll check it out at some point.

As @Richard_Holt says, you should definitely check out Unavowed, if you haven’t already!

The scores for #3 to #6 are tight enough that a single voter could reorder ALL of them!

Get in here and vote if you haven’t yet folks! You have less than 3 hours left.

Don’t feel like thinking so much? Just drop in and leave your #1 GotY for 2018 and call it a night.

Nice video. I’d never heard of ZeroRanger.

It’s a 2D Shooter! I used to hate that genre until this year, when the Skyforce games made me love it. I’m not done with Skyforce yet though, and ZeroRanger looks too advanced for me. Unfortunately Skyforce Reloaded came out last year I think, so it’s not eligible for votes, but man, I had so much fun with it this year. It’s always cool to get into a new genre because of a game.

I’ll throw my meaningless, overly-personal votes out there.

1. God of War
  2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  3. Monster Hunter World
  4. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Is God of War actually a transcendent gaming experience superior to all others in 2018? I posit that it is not, UNLESS you complete it two days before your first child is born. Then it kind of sticks with you.

That game has been in my head every night when I wake up to feed my daughter. I think of Atreus every time my daughter falls down after trying to stand up. I call my daughter “Boy” sometimes when Mom’s not around. I think a lot about how to raise her to be strong but also tender and kind.

Suffice to say that God of War really fucked me up last year. Preparing for our first child made me pretty emotionally raw, and goddamn if God of War didn’t take advantage of that.

This year’s iteration of Super Smash Bros is perfect. Huge roster, lots of balance, very accessible. I wish every fighting game was as big as Smash.

2018 was the year that Monster Hunter finally clicked with me. Now, I’m a lifer. I spent more time in World and Generations Ultimate than any other game in 2018.

There.

OMG SPOILLAR111!

Something like 3 separate people have already looked at the votes and predicted 1 and 2 already, but I did think about that spoiler a lot before posting it. Still, at least I waited until basically the end. :)

Nevertheless, mea culpa perhaps?

Nah don’t sweat it. I wuz jes buggin’.

THE VOTES ARE IN!!!

Bump. Since it came up a lot in this thread, I thought I’d let y’all know that the wonderful Scavenger SV-4 is having an anniversary sale right now.