It's that time of the year again...

That’s interesting. My experience with Google Maps is just the reverse: it always wants to start at my home, even though I told it to find me. And then it is VERY slow to update my current location along the way.

I’ve used Apple Maps ever since TomTom removed traffic support on their old app (which I loved). So is Waze really that good? I’ve heard people say that their user interface was developed by the Devil.

I used waze for a grand total of 45 seconds a few years ago, the App looks like it was designed for a toddler, fastest uninstall in app history for me. I’m a google maps guy, but that has been annoying me lately too.

I’m tempted to use Apple maps just because it’s so integrated into iOS. Is it really still shitty or is it just reputation at this point? What specifically makes it shit? I know when it first came out it would direct people on phantom roads and stuff but I imagine that’s all done with by now.

I don’t like the Waze UI either but it’s superior in terms of routing you around traffic, accidents, etc.

I have no idea if it’s still horrible, or if that’s just a holdover from the early days. My own routes regularly take me past 1 Infinite Loop and 1 Apple Park Way, so I’m not sure if the robustness of this local data reflects the overall quality of the app.

Apple maps is generally fine, but in those edge cases where it isn’t… you really, really, remember those.

I use a maps app everyday to tell me which route home from work is the fastest. Apple Maps does this mostly fine, but is sometimes slow to notify of accidents. I have been stuck because of an accident ahead for 20 minutes before Apple Maps showed anything. Waze is MUCH better at this since it relies on user input and a lot of people use it. But I also found it likes to suggest routes that are maybe a minute quicker with overly complicated routes (go through 2 extra lights, and get on the freeway for 1 mile for barely any improvement). So I am really excited to have the option to use it, but I do think it’s a bit overhyped.

I am going to try Google Maps today.

Nope. It’s still shit. And Apple knows it, hence their announced plan to adopt the Google model and send out a fleet of mapping cars instead of relying on third-party map suppliers.

I guess I should temper my “shit” comment slightly. If you live in the Bay Area, I think it’s actually pretty solid. Here in Montreal, it’s crap. I have a test case I run every time Apple updates Maps (i.e., when there’s an OS update), and it continues to fail. It literally has me drive through a fence, onto a private roadway that’s located in a large railcard, and then exit the railcard through another fence. I’ve literally logged these as bugs using the built in Maps mechanism with each failure, and it’s never been fixed. Including in iOS 12.

As someone who has used it across the country, it’s really not shit. It’s quite good actually. Sure there are problems in some areas, but that’s true of Google and Garmin as well. Traffic prediction isn’t great at times though.

I’ve pitted Google Maps against Apple Maps a few times. They’re very, very similar these days. In one instance, Apple Maps had superior lane guidance. It really does vary depending on location.

I’ve been told by others that Apple has done an adequate job on US mapping. So it doesn’t surprise me that you think so. I’d be curious to hear if you’ve done any international driving.

Nope, assumed we were talking US. Have read it’s still shit in England.

Ah. I guess I failed to mention I live in Montreal. Where I will never use Apple Maps until I’ve read that they’ve sent their mapping vehicles.

Didn’t try Google Maps on CarPlay. It thinks I still live in Fl and told me it would take 46 hours to get home. Guess it’s been a couple of years since I used it last. Waze know where I live though. Maybe I told it?

My sister’s iPad Mini 2 is still on 9.2. A lot of people have talked about how iOS 12 gives new life to these old devices but I assume most of those people would be upgrading from 10 or 11. Would it still make sense to upgrade if you’re concerned about the new updates slowing down the functionality of a device? I assume there are security benefits as well which would be another consideration or limitations to the app store with such an old version.

No one has their phone yet? Mine is on the delivery truck but I was expecting some impressions by now.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iphone+xs+impressions&sp=CAI%3D

There you go! :)

Thanks! I thought the internet was entirely limited to quartertothree.com

Got my XS Max around noon. it is, as expected, a larger iPhone X. That’s exactly what I wanted, so I’m satisfied. Benchmarks faster, but it feels absolutely identical.

iPhone X geekbench: 4212 single-core, 10658 multi-core
iPhone XS Max geekbench: 4825 single-core, 11550 multi-core

Getting mine today hopefully very soon. As a 6s+ replacement that’s been beat to hell, it’s about time.

— Alan