I've started my DVD collection

It’s not obscure, but I can’t see a person building an apocalyptic movie library without Escape from New York.

Absolutely. That’s the version I have.

Frrrt. Real men organize their films by director.

My collection isn’t quite big enough to do this, as I don’t nessesarily have every single movie by every single director I like. Besides, the auteur theory is for first-year film students and French people - real men organize by cinematographer. That’s why I have Repo Man next to Paris, Texas.

Criteron’s new release of Seven Samurai
Leone’s Nameless Trilogy

Actually, there are a ton of great Criteron movies to get.

You REALLY need to look up the word ‘obscure’.

the hidden. great 80s scifi movie

Dark humor? Check. Semi-obscure? Check.

Flesh Gordon

tee hee hee

The Last Supper is a cute little film. Very Hitchcockian.

In no particular order (well, alphabetical):

Cube
Delicatessen
Donnie Darko
Fight Club (not obscure, but there’s a reason why people rave about it)
Strange Days
They Live

Started my HD-DVD collection, given that the 360 drive is coming out soon.

I went to buy two discs (Serenity, and Willy Wonka for the wife & kid), and then discovered Amazon had a deal where, if you buy three HD-DVD discs now, you’ll get 10% off all HD-DVDs for a year. Took forever to find a third disc I wanted. (Preordered the Donner cut of Superman 2.)

So not only do we have a format war between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, we still have a pretty pitiful selection of movies at this point, too.

Started my HD-DVD collection, given that the 360 drive is coming out soon.

I went to buy two discs (Serenity, and Willy Wonka for the wife & kid), and then discovered Amazon had a deal where, if you buy three HD-DVD discs now, you’ll get 10% off all HD-DVDs for a year. Took forever to find a third disc I wanted. (Preordered the Donner cut of Superman 2.)

So not only do we have a format war between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, we still have a pretty pitiful selection of movies at this point, too.

Obscure is a relative term. In these parts that list would generally elicit looks of mass confusion.

My criteria for owning a DVD is that it has to be something I’d want to show someone.

Which is probably a bit too broad, but it’s what I tell myself when I end up buying a DVD and afterwards realizing that I bought it not because I would ever watch it again, but because I liked it.

-Tom

This is the justification I generally use when I go on a DVD buying spree.

Although, these days I usually just buy tv shows on DVD as its much easier for me that way (I don’t really watch tv, don’t have a tivo, and bittorrent/piracy is far too slow on my connection).

edit: link to my small collection. I haven’t updated it in a long time, though.

at the risk of starting another 3000 page rant fest on the evils of pirating, am I better off just spending the next year ripping DVDs off torrents until the next, latest greatest format becomes standardised and affordable to the masses?

I know the entertainment industry rightly thinks we’ll carry on buying at full price all our favourite stuff every 5 years, but now it’s an imminent switchover should I just wait for Blue HD or whatever it’s called to win the format war and start buying again then rather than end up with another expensive collection of coasters and potential fruit bowls?

I have to answer positive to one of these two questions:

1. is this a great movie I’ll enjoy watching more than twice in the future? OR
  2. is this a great movie that a lot of people are unlikely to have seen, which I’ll enjoy showing?

er, and then there’s the giant monster/ray harryhausen movies, but most of them go in the closet, not in the “public” DVD collection, heh.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension

Wizard of Oz

That special someone, am I right, Tom? You sly devil, you.