Ixion - Frostpunk in Space

I haven’t finished the game but I’d guess none with the current version. There aren’t any branching decisions to make in the tech tree or the main plot (so far). You can get different outcomes for events when you’re exploring, but these wouldn’t be worth a replay on their own.

Has anyone figured out how the train station works? It says it shares the influence of certain buildings into other sectors but i havent figured out which buildings.

I suspect that replayability is low. I would hope the developers are working on a sandbox mode to address that issue.

Oh nevermind, i just realized its for the health center and the fighting dome, it says on the description.

This looks great…working some OT today but will try this out for sure tonight.

Played this for about an hour. Still on the first sector. Sent science teams to explore the moon and Saturn. Just unlocked the ant farm so I can get more food. I really, really enjoyed it.

I’ve read a lot of people say it’s super hard after the 2nd sector (of 6) but right now It’s nice and relaxing and loved Startopia so the base building reminds me a bit like that…at least the circular station.

Most games anymore dont really grip me and I love science fiction games but this one had me glued to my monitor like nothing has for a long time. (console gamer mostly). Runs fine on my 9th gen i7, GTX 3060.

That’s great to hear. Thanks.

Big tip if you are having difficulty: as long as there’s iron in a system, don’t leave and harvest everything. Ignore the stability malus for overstaying. It doesn’t increase and you have enough options to improve stability even in chapter one.

Oh and get the research generation upgrades the moment you can take them.

I don’t find IXION relaxing as say Anno where you can sort of sit there and generate resources and even if everyone’s not happy there is no real downside. This game feels like I’m constantly on a knife’s edge, balancing needs one versus another. For instance at one point you’ll realize you need more alloy which really means you need to collect more iron which means you need to make sure you mine and haul it. And then you realize you need polymer to make probes but you just ran out of polymer so you have to go find, mine and haul carbon. There is a constant push-pull of needs and desires. It’s a little stressful but it’s also fun to work it out.

I suspect It might be a bit too easy to fall into a death spiral but so far I’m digging it.

And later on waste recycling is OP.

400 cycles into my first game and I am really enjoying this.

Really metal visual (chapter 3 spoiler): When you’re at a location with both the “Electromagnetic Storm” and “Field of Corpses” hazards, every flash of lightning shows the hundreds of bodies drifting around your ship

It gets even better the next chapter but im going to let it surprise you.

I also love the visuals of the enviroment and the sense of how big everything is. At the start the game makes you feel like you are in a really big station but in later chapters it makes you feel like you are a little fish in the vastness of space. Reminds me of homeworld with all the gigantic space hulks in the background.

I am not big on strategy games but I just read a czech review where the guy gave it 9/10 and raved about how awesome it is and how great the storytelling in this game is, and how it wipes its ass with “mediocre horror story games like Callisto Protocol”

I might actually try it out.

I am enjoying it, and the send probes into space and events open up is really a well done.

How pressing are the timers in this game? While I enjoyed frostpunk, I was always teethering on the edge of failure at all times, and it did not take much to cascade into failure. I suck at min-maxing in games, and would much rather roleplay as whatever the game intends, than try to find OPTIMAL PATH.

Is that possilbe here, @lordkosc

There is a -1 to stability if you stay too long in a system. However as there are tons of way to boost stability this is easily mitigated. As I said above, I recommend staying in system as long as there is iron and silicon to mine.

Failing a timed assignment doesn’t really matter either if you keep your trust level pegged at a 100%. You take a 10% hit which you’ll recover in a few cycles if your stability is positive. Or refuse the assignments and suffer a strike.

In summary; if you keep all your sectors at +x stability the ‘bad’ events don’t really matter. In the early game one can manage this by researching optimised crew quarters and then housing everyone in them (+2), and building an alternative lifestyle center (+1) and a monument (+1). When you reach tier 2 of the reasearch, get the DLS center(+1) and set it to intense propaganda for another +1. Until you reach chapter 4 this will more than suffice.

Also NEVER make your workers do extra hours, always keep the right amount of workers at optimal otherwise the accidents get too crazy.

Otherwise, as mentioned before, there is no rush in jumping into the next system, take your time.

It was a pretty poor year for strategy games, but this one stood out in the best of lists.
Two weeks after release how many of you are still playing it.

The game gave me an easily achievable but time consuming task in the last system and I got bored. By that time I had built a self-sustaining economy and the game had lost its challenge. I may fire it up again some day and power through to the ending.

I liked it, though – felt like I got my money’s worth. More city builders should have moving cities.