iZombie

Heads up: For those in UK, 2 seasons of iZombie have appeared today. Awesome news as my wife and I have been waiting to see season 2 since the VPN we were using stopped working.

Wendelius

That’s exactly it. Thinking about it I guess the end result was the same as if he didn’t figure it out, but I wasn’t annoyed at characters being stupid just to further the plot.

Season 2 is now up on US Netflix!

New season finally started! Whoo. Off to an intriguing start!

Still my favorite thing on TV right now.

iZombie was really watchable and fun at times. More of it => Good.

Officially picked up for Season 4.

Season 4 is now up on Netflix. Season 5 has been announced as the final season.

Purely because I liked Owen from Bly Manor I started watching this and damn, three episodes in, I love it. Great, fun dialogue writing, of course it is when it has Veronica Mars showrunner. And Owen is great here too.

You’re in for a treat. I binged through iZombie earlier in the year, and it’s so damn good. It’d definitely make my list of top 5 TV series of the last decade. Great characters, some amazing acting from Rose McIver, and such a strong and consistent 5 season story arc. Any time you think they’re going to soon run out of steam with the formula, they change things up.

Glad to read that. God the name iZombie is terrible. It singlehandedly managed to make this show not interest me before now.

checks IMDB Rahul Kohli is Owen? He’s fantastic in this show. I’ve been disappointed that he hasn’t broken out based on his performance here. To @jsnell’s point they manage to keep the premise fresh for 5 seasons and wrap everything up - the story they wanted to tell was completely told. That’s felt rare with shows I enjoy recently and greatly appreciated.

Back in the season 1 or 2 days Rose McIver liked a tweet of mine along these lines - great show that more people should watch but are missing out on because of the name. So the opinion is shared :)

I made it to the first episode of the 3rd season and the apparent big changes to the status quo didn’t really seem that interesting so I never carried on watching. Perhaps I should give it another shot?

Hmmm I am in S3E9 and finding season 3 a weaker than first two, the brain stuff is way too over the top to the point where it just requires too much disbelief suspension and veers into cringefests, plus WTF is with Liv and Major’s army buddy relationship? And playing out the amnesiac Blaine off so haphazardly…
I still enjoy it (characters are just fun and likeable) and will for sure binge it in full, but first two seasons were stronger. Also had amazing antagonists with Blaine, Du Clark and his redhead daughter…now gone. I liked the new Viviane zombielady, but apparently she is gone now too. Same with Robert Knepper, who is also fantastic as always, but now appears to be also gone.
Now the remaining antagonists are I guess the zombie truther people? Hope rest of the season and future ones will improve again.

Ok, the end of S3 was welcome improvement and change to status quo and I love seeing Logan Echolls on another Rob Thomas show. Love his no-nonsense character here.
I do still wish the story was even more serialized and less time was dedicated to the random investigations, but it’s still fun.

5 seasons in a week…that went by quickly. It was a fun ride, even if I am not 100% satisfied with the “10 years later” ending…these kinds of endings often feel detached and lack emotion, which was the case here, for me at least.

The show also had some interesting and fresh takes on zombie topic that I wish were explored in more detail without being bound by the “episodic comedy CSI-like procedural” genre.
For example, since being a Zombie gives a person enhanced strength, resilience, and…you know, immortality, would zombies even want to take the cure? And how many people out there would want to become zombies? Would humans find zombieism to be an existential threat anyway, eventually?
This universe could use a spin-off/sequel in non-procedural genre :)

Having watched Lucifer, this one got bumped into my recommends by Netflix and I decided to take a chance on it based on the comments here.

I can definitely see the appeal (it’s fun, Rose McIver is delightful, etc), but after one season, I’m already finding the CSI procedural filler content tiring (also the case in Lucifer - but the cases in Lucifer at least were set up to be more interesting with multiple possible suspects, here you almost always know both the culprit and how-he-done-it up front), and I’ve already been annoyed a couple of times with characters doing stupid stuff to advance the plot.

Not completely soured on it, but I think I’ll let this rest for some time before I come back to it. Although I managed to power through Lucifer, I realize that I’m really not a fan of the “CSI Procedural backstory” thing in these kind of shows (also really tired of the “Doctor show filler”). I wish there were more creators who would focus on just telling an interesting story about interesting characters in an interesting setting - but I guess there isn’t as much money in a 2 season show that tells a coherent story as you can get out of dragging something out for 5+ seasons.

Yeah, both Lucifer and iZombie are a fun shows wrapped around a shitty police procedural center. I feel like we need a genre name for this, it seems to come up a lot.