James and the Warhammer Grand Tournament

During a recent stream, I mentioned that I was playing my Skaven Skryre list in a Warhammer Grand Tournament. Several QT3 members asked that I take pictures and make some comments. I didn’t do that well. Skaven are not really that viable in the current Warhammer Meta. I came in 21st out of 64. I did come in high in sportsmanship, however. I am including a number of photos of my army, as well as my competition. The con was 5 games. There were secret objectives for each round. I happened to get every secret objective, which was pretty cool. Anyway, any questions, please ask me. Ill be happy to answer anything!

Wow! That is some outstandingly beautiful work. Congrats on not getting entirely bamboozled. :D

Oh wow, that’s some nicely painted miniatures and figures! Congrats on the result too. I admire you not pursuing the meta – all games need more of that!

Which one in the photo is you might I ask?

Those are beautiful, James. Thank you for posting these pics. I’ll make sure to bring this up during Tom’s stream tonight.

Do you come up with the color scheme or is that based off of source material?

James,

For someone like myself who has zero skills in painting miniatures, I am highly impressed with what you put together. I need to find my old space orks that are somewhere in the UK and hire you to paint them!

Alex.

Can I add my Eldar to that UK order?

I don’t know much about the actual tabletop game. What are secret objectives and what does fulfulling them actually achieve? I thought the goal was just to beat the other guys.

Dang, I have no idea what any of what I’m looking at is, but that is nice looking work there.

Also, as a miniatures player of a different stripe (X-wing), I concur with @geggis. I’m aggressive anti-meta, and always love seeing different things on the table. So I applaud your decision to roll with what you like.

Awesome work, and great job in the tournament!

21st out of 65 is pretty good by my count, James. Gratz! Could you describe how one of your games unfolded, in layman’s terms? I’d love to read a sort of thumbnail debriefing of one of your battles.

And those little guys look awesome. This is my favorite:

https://forum.quartertothree.com/uploads/default/original/3X/f/c/fc064b38a88784a445ae654bb26285223ce5955f.jpeg

They’re like the Skaven version of that scene from Hurt Locker. You’re really making me want to play a Skaven campaign in Total Warwar Hammer!

-Tom

James seems like someone who would make a fun podcast guest to talk about his tournament experiences (hint).

Jezzails! They are the anti-hero snipers. They do great wet-work and have won me many games.