James Gunn and Peter Safran will now lead the DC Movie and TV studios

It would still be a huge achievement if the Flash makes the cut in the Flash movie.

I don’t know why you would need a cohesive vision if you’re NOT having one major shared universe. Why not make good characters and good movies that can eventually work together? The Justice League is still a thing.

You can build a connected universe but I don’t particularly think that DC needs to. There certainly needs to be at least some fundamental idea of what you’re going to do with these characters instead of the back-and-forth we keep seeing and reading about.

Like, why is Amanda Waller suddenly the Nick Fury of DC? What Batman is going to be in Flash? Is there even an actual Flash movie? How the hell does a situation like Batgirl even happen? Where does Blue Beetle fall in all of this?

I’m not a big fan of Joker but DC can clearly find a ton of success in adaptations and interpretations that don’t need to be connected. WB-Discovery seems to have been trying to shoehorn all the pieces into fitting together. Hasn’t really worked.

To be fair, they haven’t had a Kevin Feige at the helm overseeing it all. That’s the role that Gunn and Safran now have, and I think Gunn is a good choice for the job.

I mean, given that it’s mostly been a series of fumbles, I’m not sure that’s a terrible idea. Although I thought Aquaman was actually one of the more entertaining films they made.

I really enjoyed both Wonder Woman movies, but I’m all for clearing the board of all Snyderverse.

Superman II remains my favorite DC character movie, I think, followed by The Dark Knight. There’s a lot of potential there, a lot of different tones they can go with. The Snyder tone kind of sucked.

Right? I love my copy of the first Lobo story, found in a box in the back of my local Oxfam charity bookshop. The art is badass, Simon Bisley rocks. But as a character, and a story, it reads like a punk-metal college-art-student fever dream. Lots of potential, but super easy to get completely wrong (and it’s definitely not for everybody, similar to Deadpool.)

Personally I think Mamoa (who I like well enough, but was only passable in Slumberland as a conniving weirdo) is a bit thick tongued for the part. He’s a beefy dude, but there’s a sharpness to the comic character that I think would get lost. Kinda like how Swarzenegger had the body of Conan, but none of the wit.

It doesn’t help that Lobo himself was meant as a joke that no one ever quite “got”. The earliest (1980s) incarnation was a send-up of the brooding anti-heroes like The Punisher and Wolverine, and the current - popular - version was a straight-up satire of all things Rob Leifeld from the early 90s.

Patty Jenkins responds.

I don’t think any of the reports I’ve seen said Patty Jenkins “killed” or “walked away” from WW3. The reports were that Gunn/WB had killed her script for WW3 and will possibly do something else with Gal Gadot, to include a WW3 - just not written by Jenkins.

According to that article, she was right. That word had leaked out that she didn’t want to do it.

How this happened depends on who you talk to: Insiders at the studio say it’s up to Jenkins, suggesting the filmmaker did not want to take notes on how to fit a Gal Gadot-led “Wonder Woman” movie into whatever Gunn and Safran are planning.

Yeah, that seems like there are some interpretations of the rumor that include her making the decision to leave. I never saw those. All the reporting I saw was that Gunn and Safran had rejected her WW3 script.

Mods, can you please move this discussion to the casting disabled actors thread?

So, Cavill is out. Gunn wants to go younger.

Kevin Feige should be on the phone with Cavill, I don’t really even care what role.

Wonder Man!

I bet we’re not going to see The Rock’s Black Adam again either. It doesn’t help DC to make an announcement like that right away, so they might not mention that for a while, unless the Rock’s ego forces their hand—a very real possibility.

They’ve already cast that one.

Damn! Gave up The Witcher and then got canned from Superman anyway.

Mockup posters and deleted scenes don’t mean that Wonder Man has been cast. They may want to go younger for that role too.

With Cavill apparently giving up the Witcher to do Supes, this seems to be a very unfortunate development. Though I guess he still has Sherlock in the Enola franchise and the Highlander reboot coming up, so still has some potential franchises going.