Jason's Ridiculous Oblivion Mod List

Note that Cry FranOOOMMM is the old version (0.7.4) and has been since renamed to FCOM (0.7.5 onward).

Also, not having OOO in the mix is not a deal breaker at all. You can have a great experience without it. A modular OOO system should be forthcoming later on, perhaps it will be easier to play nice with other mods by then.

Gotcha. Well, I’m going to give it a go. Though the FCOM instructions do not explicitly say this, I assume I am supposed to install the various mods in the order set forth on the load order listing. I’ve gone part way through that, but am now stuck, as I am apparently supposed to do some file renaming for some .bsa files installed by Francesco’s that I can not find anywhere after installing it.

You’re further along than I am, sorry that I can’t be more help here. I’ve been junking out on STALKER and WoW lately and haven’t bothered to attempt what you’re doing yet.

Well, I got it all installed, used Wrye Bash to make a bash patch, and started the game. It died on start up. So it seems I have done something wrong. :)

EDIT: Yeah, after removing all the mods and completely reinstalling the game, the crash is not caused by the mods. So now I have some more fun to look forward to. The game just crashes to desktop before the title screen even loads. Well, I guess I do get something, about 1/4 of a second of the title music plays and then stutters. Yes, my graphics and sound drivers are up to date. 2 gigs of RAM, 7950 GT vid card. Maybe I’ll try defragging overnight.

You could try using a tweak program to edit the oblivion ini file and turn off hardware acceleration for the sound? It may help.

Yeah, I didn’t have enough time to play with it last night, but I am productively using my work time right now to store up a whole bunch of webpages with possible solutions to try when I get back home from Easter.

Of course, as a half-geek (full geek social ability, no geek tech abilities), I’m going nuts not being able to try to solve this before Monday night. :)

FYI, for people who have been contemplating picking up Knights of the Nine and/or Shivering Isles, they’re both heavily discounted at Circuit City this week.

• Alan

It figures, after waiting to upgrade to a system capable of running Oblivion at full settings and seeing all these wonderful mods come out, the patch and expansion break everything under the sun right before my parts arrive.

Oh well, it’s been sitting on my shelf since it came out, another few weeks to let the dust settle won’t hurt…

Starting to dive into my Oblivion game with 90% of the mods suggested in this thread. So far so good.

However, what’s the story with OOO? Is this assumed to be installed for everyone already? Or are you playing with all these other mods (Francesco’s, Martigen’s Monster Mod, etc) without using OOO?

I love the idea of more customized dungeons vs the old generic vanilla versions. OTOH, I’m not sure I want to restart a game after already crawling through the opening sewers and Villervin.

Thoughts on using OOO with everything else in this thread?

Thanks!

Istari

I don’t know the specifics of blends between Francesco’s, OOO e Martigens but I don’t get the point.

They have conflicting and overlapping design all over so why using them at once?

My choice was to go with OOO and then heavily modify it. Quite happy with the outcome, like Imps casting DOTs and then silencing so that you cannot heal. Or debuffing you before an attack. Quite fun battles after having passed some time understanding how the leveled spells worked and how I could make monsters use some more varied spells and tactics :)

With some work the combat can feel challenging and fun.

I did manage to figure out FCOM (which allows you to combine Francesco’s, MMM, OOO, WarCry, and Bob’s Armory mods together). It is now working on my machine, and though I still think the instructions to do it are fairly atrocious, it is one of those things that actually turns out to be fairly easy once you read between the lines and figure it out. One of those deals that may take you a few hours the first time, and then you realize that had the instructions been better written, it would have been much simpler to do. In the end though, I was able to do it with the instructions that were given, so it is not that hard in any event.

What it effectively does is allow you (in summary) to use OOO as the baseline, and pull the best parts of all of those other mods in, creating a wonderful final package. It may not be for everyone, hell, I don’t even know if it will be for me long term. But what it represents is one person’s seemingly thoughtful approach at creating the best combined Oblivion experience by taking the best parts of all of those mods, while balancing them so they don’t conflict with each other.

I’m finally getting back to this and working on updating it again.

A mod I definitely won’t be including? More than almost everything visible while distant. Basically the whole damn planet is always visible. Oh, to have a computer that could run it…

Yay Jason. Pre-emptive appreciation rolling :)

This thread morphed from its original super-useful ‘this is all you want, just install it’ state into being another cluttered ‘Do XXX then ZZZ, then BBB - it might work’ thread.

How about a fresh thread if you manage an SI-compatible ridiculous mod list? :)

I’ve been downloading mods like crazy… :)

I’m downloading that just to see what happens.

Let me know how long it takes for the fire department to put out the blaze. ;)