Jem and the Holograms - Live action, no actual hologram

$50 American?

I’ll also accept Canadian dollars and Euros at the commensurate exchange rate at the time of the movie’s release. In other news, I’ll see the Entourage movie for $20, Gemma Bovery for $10 (half that if there’s confirmed Gemma Arterton nudity), Aloha for $5, and San Andreas for -$15.

-Tom

If we send you $100, do you have to watch entourage 5 times?

That’s a good question. I think I’ll have to revise my rate card so that repeat viewings of certain movies are more expensive. For instance, seeing Jem and the Holograms a second time would probably double the cost, but seeing Entourage a second time would probably only be about 50% more than the base cost.

By the way, Mad Max: Fury Road? I’ll see that for negative $20. That goes for the repeat viewings as well.

-Tom

I’ll chip in $10 for that. Anyone with me?

If there was some slight chance that it could actually be a decent movie then I would send the other $40. There wouldn’t be any joy for me in sending someone off to watch a movie that had no chance of being good.

I would have paid a decent sum to get Tom to watch Wild though.

More importantly, what is the price of making sure that Pixels is not going to be chosen as a Qt3 Movie Podcast movie?

It might be funny to contribute huge sums of money and have Tom repeatedly go and watch Jem and the Holograms.
We’d need to lay out some groundrules though… We’d need to get fairly in-depth reviews and writeups from each viewing, including about the other folks seeing the movie.

Also, it’d really have to be at the same theater, at the same time every viewing, so that he was forced to repeatedly buy tickets to the movie from the same person.

I will contribute money to this.

I finally saw the trailer this week. It’s not a movie I was ever planning on seeing. I knew it was going to be terrible. I knew it was going to have changes from the show, but WTF?!!

I grew up in the with Jem as it came on between GI JOE and Transformers and it was the one show my sister wanted to watch. So I would watch it with her. In fact, I had a crush on Jem , if you can call it that at 7 years old. I don’t remember a lot about the show, but I do remember Jem enjoyed being Jem. She was a hero for girls. She wasn’t some lost fucking girl looking for fame and being hidden behind a manager’s persona. Why in God’s name would you turn that cartoon into this crap.

Instead running from the silliness of the show they should have jumped head first into it and pulled a Scott Pilgrim. Seriously, did they just take generic Miley Cyrus film number 3 and slap a new cast and name on it?

Simon Pegg, it’s not sci-fi that’s dumbing down audiences. It’s green lit crap like this.

Now watch this film will probably make millions and be critically acclaimed and I’ll have to eat my words.

Meh, even if it’s critically acclaimed, that doesn’t mean that it was a reasonable thing to slap the Jem brand on. The only way that would be refuted would be if they somehow used the disconnect between the franchise expectations and the product in some fundamental way that informed the film itself, but I don’t even know how you’d do that.

I never watched Jem, but I know enough about it to wonder why they’re calling this movie Jem.

If I had to guess, it would be to get people talking about it. A twelve or thirteen year-old would probably not look up from her phone long enough to know this movie exists, but if her parents wailed about how it’s “not really Jem” they probably at least glacé at it to see why the old folks are so upset.

Trailer 2: https://youtu.be/dWENiXRJ7ps

Now we get a robot.

They should slowly get more and more Jem-y with each trailer until by the time it releases, it’s just straight up Hologram superheroine 80s vomit.

BECAUSE THE FANS DEMANDED IT

For a moment during that trailer, I thought the robot was going to project an actual hologram. But, hope, he just projects flat 2D images. Lame.

-Tom

They are obviously trying to keep the whole thing grounded in reality.

HAHAHAHAHA just kidding. They totally should’ve made it a hologram.

So I guess this thing totally bombed. Like, did really, super bad. As in, a historically terrible opening.

And apparently fans were less than thrilled, too.