Jessica Jones - from Marvel and Netflix

Guess I have time before I have to be with family, tomorrow ;)

I’ve enjoyed the series, but hit a bit of a wall in episode 7.

At the Precinct

She had ample opportunity to punch Kilgrave’s head off in front of a room full of witnesses who could attest to his mind control. The fact that she didn’t made it seem like a contrivance to drag out the series.

I’m not sure that would have worked.
Because

while they were under the influence, they might have just shot each other had he been killed, and that’s a risk she couldn’t take (we see him using this kind of safeguard a few times in the series). While after his “now think it was all just a joke” command, the idea of mind control would be back in the “cognitively dissonant” area, so they wouldn’t make good witnesses, as each would have different versions and rationalizations, and she would just look like a murderer.

Especially in every other situation like that one, that’s exactly what he HAD done.

Episode 8 was really good - Finally the show picked up again after a few slow and way too depressing episodes - awesome stuff!

Just finished it. Overall, I liked it and appreciated that they went down a different path compared to the Daredevil series when it comes to tone and style despite both shows being set in the same place. (Mind you, I really enjoyed Daredevil.) That said, my appreciation cooled down quite a bit during the second half of the series.

For me there was a bit too much side-plotting and people following their own agendas and either intentionally or unintentionally doublecrossing Jessica and getting in her way. I could have done without the whole Simpson plot that seemed just there to set up story content that the second season or other Netflix/Marvel shows will pick up later on. It also added coincidence to a story that already had plenty, e.g. Luke’s and Jessica’s past being connected. There’s Trish trying to “help”. Hogarth doing her own thing all the way. The twin sister neighbor suddenly and instantly whipping up the other Kilgrave victims to go for Jessica. It got annoying at times. I think they should have cut some stuff and told the story in 10 episodes rather than 13.

Man, David Tennant. That was some inspired casting. I’ve never really watched Dr. Who or anything else he was in, but he was such a joyful asshole here. Really loved every scene he was in. After D’Onofrio’s Fisk another great pick.

Ep 8 is my favorite by far. Probably because that gave us the most time with Kilgrave.

To anyone struggling with the pacing – hang on through episode 8. The story takes a big turn, and the rollercoaster really gets going.

My favorite scene around Ep 7-8

nosy neighbor

When Jessica’s nosy neighbor comes in and is like, “I totally knew there was going to be an accident” and then Kilgrave makes her admit she lied and that she just said it “because it makes me feel important.”

The funny thing is that from what I’ve seen so far it’s like, 95% the same performance as his Tenth Doctor. It’s just that The Doctor is (most of the time) a bountiful well of compassion who goes out of his way to share the wonder of the world with others, protect the vulnerable, and resolve things nonviolently if at all possible. And Kilgrave is a narcissist, sadist, and casually violent.

I thought the show was one of the best of this year. And it’s been a good year for good “TV”. That said, Festivus is a less than a month away, so I must begin to gather my grievances.

At times I found the lead actress tiring. She often seemed to drone on, in her flat voice. I’m not sure whether it’s her acting, or just her natural way of speaking.

Other than that, I found the actress who played the twin sister corny. Every time I saw her, she seemed to be out of place.

Ah, just remembered something that occurred to me while watching. Part of the excellence of Kyrsten Ritter’s performance is that her somewhat “fuck you” attitude when it comes to hear dealings with anyone other than Kilgrave, that punky sense of confidence, comes from the fact that she has superpowers and knows she can pretty much kick anyone’s ass. She’s totally unafraid (again, other than in relation to Kilgrave). Ritter portrays that very well - she has that glee/gusto thing in using her abilities that the best superhero portrayals have (as opposed to navel-gazing, hemming and hawing).

Four episodes in so far, meaning I’m as far into Jessica Jones now as I was with DareDevil. But with Dare Devil, I had to force myself to watch each episode. This one is similar in that I don’t find it particularly enjoyable or compelling while I’m watching an episode, but unlike DareDevil, I keep thinking about it afterward and find myself coming back for one more episode. There’s just something … magnetic about it. I certainly wouldn’t put it in the top tier of TV shows so far though. Nothing in the league of Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, etc.

Why don’t they all just wear earplugs? The season would be over in 1 episode.

Gay. Daredevil was better.

Ugh, you kind of need to watch the entire season before making such conclusions.

Speaking of which, I did just finish. Am not surprised how it ended but still liked it generally speaking. I thought they were setting up Trish to be Hellcat but that might have been a tiny bit of a red herring. There were a couple of unexpected deaths that transpire, a few that I didn’t really see coming; everything involving Simpson was equally and entirely annoying. I didn’t like his character, his mannerisms, his weirdo background, his acting or his face. And it was nice to see a character from Daredevil.

Tenant is a great Kilgrave though; holy crap. Truly terrifying.

The show is such a slow burn. Things do crank up quite a bit by episode 8, and some of the fights in 11 and 12 are good. Jessica Jones is definitely a bit of an acquired taste, but still think it’s worth getting to the end. And yes some seeming plot holes are actually filled.

— Alan

Stay classy.

And maybe just don’t post in threads about shit you don’t like. It’s crazy, but it works. Most people manage to do it several hundred times a day.

I wouldn’t phrase it that way, but his point seems valid. Why not just wear earplugs?

Trish

They have Trish wear some loud headphones and that seems to do the trick. They make a point of showing them pop off during the dock fight, so Kilgrave can nab her.

While I enjoyed it a great deal, it did have some problems (Tennant NOT being one of them…damn, that guy knocked it out of the park). The biggest one being that I’m now afraid of being admitted to a hospital that adheres to a “go for the powered hand drill if your first plan doesn’t work” policy.

I wondered this as well, but you would have to be away from anyone else. All he has to do is command THEM to pin you down and take out the plugs. He always seemed to have contingencies in place, so I’m fairly sure he had planned for that. Unless you got a large group of people together and they all had ear plugs, I assume that would work. It would have put the story to bed kind of early though, and without much circumstance or pomp!

The other thing that bugged me was…

Final act

Once you’ve decided to kill him instead of capturing him, why not just shoot Kilgrave when you get the chance? There were multiple times that Jessica could’ve just shot him it was aggravating. I get that it’s the comic book thing to only let bad guys use firearms, but it made zero sense in the context of Jessica Jones’ world. Just pop him in the head! Sheesh!