Jimmy Carter Appreciation Thread

What a bummer. :( 98 years and the life he has lived is a good run and all, but that’s too bad.

The man is a certified national treasure. Sad, but not unexpected at his age.

Very sad to hear, but a life well lived right up until his latest years. One of the few admirable men who served as president during my lifetime.

My wife used to work for Habitat for Humanity, she’s going to take his death hard. I was too young during his presidency to really have a grasp on who he was, both as a man and a politician, but I’ve grown in esteem for him as I’ve learned more. I salute you, Mr President.

Great, another opportunity for the GOP to showcase what classless assholes they are.

What a great run he has had.

Not to be disrespectful but he was no saint as governor and president. He had his foibles as most men of power.

But I do respect the man and he seems to have led a worthy life since being president. May his last days be peaceful.

Well just the instant someone comes into this thread claiming Jimmy Carter is a saint we can inform them that you have pre-deflected all such claims. Thank you for your service, sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mje6haiutXk

“Well the odds were stacked against him but he was not afraid to fight
The mighty fascist empire lined up on the right.
So shake the hand of the man, with a hand full of love,
The one and only Jimmy Carter”

It feels somewhat foolish to be despondent over his impending death — he’s 98 years old! — but I am absolutely gutted by it.

He was, in fact, a pretty good president. He looks even better in retrospect.

Your welcome. Glad I performed a public service in your mind. :)

His 4 years were full of mistakes, a few friends/associates having scandals and a failure to understand world politics.

But I suppose compared to Reagan, Bush and Trump he looks pretty good.

And he was a victim of economic factors beyond his control.

And the rabbit.

“You’re”

“They’re”

I can’t help but think that if Carter wins re-election, the country and the Republican party would be very different today.

The important thing about Carter is that, as much as many of us opposed many of his positions at the time (I did, though I look back on that period in my life and just shake my head at how dumb I was), I’ve come to see that he was perhaps the last decent human being to occupy the Presidency. Maybe one of the best people–not politicians, people–to ever be our President. I don’t know if we will ever see someone like that win the office again.

He was truly a good man. To the core. And after him? Reagan. Who as a president, was a shitty actor. Thus started the downward spiral.

He is our greatest ex-president.