Joe Abercombie -- Maybe time to re-listen to this great series.

Really? I read it right after the trilogy because I wanted more of the Bloody Nine. One of my favorite characters in literature now.

Abercrombie can be very funny too:

“A dour-faced woman was working at a spinning wheel on a doorstep, and she frowned at Logen as he walked past with the unconscious apprentice over his shoulder. Logen smiled back at her. She was no beauty, that was sure, but it had been a very long time. The woman ducked into her house and kicked the door shut, leaving the wheel spinning. Logen sighed. The old magic was still there.”

Mark semi-spoiler alert on that post.

Ok, didn’t really think of it that way because it was pretty obvious early on in Red October. It’s blurred now.

His name isn’t ever even said in Red Country. I just listened to it. But I agree it was obvious early on.

To me.

I always thought that “Black Dow – killed more men than winter” was super awesome. Even if I though Black Dow was a murderous wrench.

And anyways anyone reading these books loves the Dogman.

Steven Pacey’s narration on the audiobooks just makes these books come alive.

It is now axiomatic: An excellent narrator can do justice to the word on paper. There is a great scene in the 3rd book where the narrator just is crazy excellent. Let’s not spoil – these books are worth the surprises,

After reading the first law series some years back, I was convinced that the first line in the book was “Say one thing for Logan, say he needs a piss”, whilst hanging off a cliff.

I was talking to someone about it and when I went over to my shelf to look it up I couldn’t find that line at all, and the cliff thing happens a few chapters in :(

I like my opening better!

I plan on going back to the first book in First law soon. But I think we should recall as much as we all love the Bloody Nine (and who wouldn’t? he is fascinating) we should recall “the cripple” --who is also fascinating.

I think why these books are good is that these characters aren’t 2 dimensional and the story isn’t 2 dimensional and the world building isn’t 2 dimensional. All three of those things are 2 1/2 dimensional. But the sum of the three makes such an excellent tale. Plus “The Heroes” really makes him work harder on characters.

Oh I will be bumping this thread until we are all done reading the 4th or 5th best fantasy series of all time.

For Monza Murcatto , the Snake of Talins – I can only just appreciate what Abercombie does best: Creates legends. But man does he put his heroes through some serious shit,

I love Abercrombie’s stuff, and those First Law books are exquisite. Even his YA stuff is good.

I actually believe this is a Dogman quote, he thinks it while waiting for the signal to an ambush his crew is setting up, iirc.

And it’s a shining example of why I love this book so freaking much.

EDIT - No, I found it in Kindle search (handy) - Logen says “Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he’s a survivor” in the opening scene you are thinking of. But Dogman does indeed have to piss fore an ambush. A blending of the two moments created that memory for you, perhaps.

Pretty much everything I’ve ever read is just “blended together” into a big mush. I’m often surprised I can recall any of it :)

Except for “The Cripple”! That I remember. Glokta’s chapters were my favourite, and the fencing guy was my least favourite. Logan was at the top, but I preferred the hobbling columbo and his creepy goon squad.

Time to re-read Pod! BUT … “the fencing guy” will still be your least favorite.

I wonder if the “fencing guy” will ever redeem himself and not be a total tool. (Though I guess the magus will have his ass if he does.)

Well let’s just say the cripple and Logan are a cut above the usual characters. Not to mention the “crew” with Dogman and Three Trees etc. I love those guys.

I read The Blade Itself earlier this year and enjoyed it, but didn’t feel compelled to read the next books. This thread makes me feel that I should have.

I forgot how convoluted the plot is the first book. I think ol Joe sorta had a broad plan and then realized later he had some awesome characters and had to re evaluate.

For example the whole Union plotline with the magic, and the history, and even the fencing contest PALES in compared to 6 rough dudes in the forest. I mean Black Dow? He’s killed more men (people I like to say) than winter!

Plus wow audio is 21 hours long and there are some strange characters that come in at midpoint. Still incredible.

Needs more Whirrun of Bligh :)