John Dvorak is an idiot

Well, shit.

Last time I saw a VAIO it just ran WinCE (this was years ago); I didn’t know they were full-fledged PCs now.

And hey, they look pretty good! How about that!

I shall keep this thread alive! ALIVE I say!

Not bad. Except for the fact that hs still doesn’t realize that Linux doesn’t need X86s to run. The Microsoft-can’t-make-money-on-most-things-they-buy dig seems accurate, the comment on “natual language search engines” makes little sense.

Then he says that he got a cool laptop. Which of course, he probably didn’t have to pay for.

His open source article is funny

“Open source programmers are masochists.”

His holiday gift guide

Seems pretty cool actually.

Today, we find out that everyone that writes software for Windows will have to pay money to Microsoft.

Is this guy ever hilarious.

Because operating systems are exactly the same as cars! Just like cars, they need a regular supply of spare parts if you want to keep using them! Getting a Windows update is just as expensive as buying a new car, too!

Then he goes on fantasizing, without any basis in fact, how Microsoft will surely prevent “the little guy with the small utility” to sell his Windows software unless he pays MS for the privilege.

Finally we revisit his only real and recurrent concern: He can’t figure out modern software!

With software we are swapping out too many things. Upgrading too often. Having to learn too many new things and wrestle with too many stupid changes.

Damn, will someone stop this mad thing called “progress” already! Give me back my Apple II! Give the little beardy hacker guy a chance!

Shorter Dvorak: Californians are crazy and responsible for every tech fad.

Shorter Dvorak: I know nothing about radio, but I know that The Man is keeping the world down. Plus, I get to play with expensive camera stuff that no one else has.

As per the advice of XPav:

Podcasting is dead! Probably! And if it does happen, it’s Mac’s fault!”

In the interest of justice and fairness, I feel compelled to link to The Ten Axioms of Computing wherein John C. Dvorak is actually quite funny.

While normally, I’d agree that Dvorak is a blathering fool who’s more concerned about his own convenience above all else, I have to say that he’s got a point regarding WiFi technologies.

I don’t agree that he advocates not using the security in any situation that doesn’t involve supar sekrit documents, but I certainly do agree that the industry and the WiFi Alliance really needs to clamp down on what they want their standard to be and what sort of security its supposed to use.

I realize WPA was only an interim solution to WEP’s glaring hole, but are we sure WPA2/RSN will be the end of it for the time being? What about firmware upgradable protection schemes? Is this not possible?

Arise!

I was listening to the most recent episode of TWiT (tech podcast), which is a “best of” version, and one of the clips they played was Leo Laporte calling up John Dvorak and asking him what he though of the to-be-announced-tomorrow Apple switch to Intel.

Laporte was saying “it was the end of apple”, and John, smacked him about and told him he was wrong. In retrospect, was absolutely right about how it was the best thing to happen to the Macs in recent years.

Its funny – I think the guy is less than an idiot now, because if you listen to him on TWiT, he still says crazy stuff occasionally, but he makes less crazy predictions that some of the other people, and also, admits that he’ll write some far out stuff to get people all fired up and telling him that he’s an idiot… because then people remember who he is.

Yeah, but Dvorak also said on TWiT that all those exploding Sony batteries must have been made in China where they don’t have proper manufacturing standards… of course they were made in Japan.

The fact that a mad ranting bastard is occasionally right does not make him any less of a mad ranting bastard. Hell, law of averages says he has to get it right some of the time.