John Wick - Keanu Reeves vs puppy killing Theon Greyjoy

Trailer.

…I’m actually sold. That looks like a really fun b-movie, with a pretty great cast.

haha yeah that looks pretty funny. I’ll probably watch it.

Don’t read this if you plan on ever watching The Rover

Is this an alternate reality version of The Rover where Eric’s (Guy Pearce) wife got sick instead of cheating on him?

That looks…like all kinds of awesome!

Yeah, this looks damn fun.

Keanu moves are always awesome. :D

I have a long standing rule when it comes to movies: if you feature Ian McShane in your trailer, I will buy a ticket.

I was already going to see this (barring disasterous RT ratings) before Lance Reddick showed up in he trailer. Now I’m going to see it, even moreso.

A puppy kills Theon Greyjoy?

Or puppy-killing Theon Greyjoy?

So this has been getting some pretty positive reviews. Many of them highlighting the action sequences and fight choreography. Apparently long takes and no shaky-cam. That’s all I need to hear. Will be seeing it this weekend.

Wick has also been added to Payday 2 as a new member of the gang.

He even has his own skill tree, weapons, and abilities.

Gimme that popcorn, I am going to see this tonight!

That actually sounds pretty great. Has shaky cam action scenes always been a thing? Or did I just first notice it with the Bourne movies.

I feel like the wave of found footage movies that followed The Blair Witch project is what really got the trend started.

The earliest movie that stands out for me as having truly awful shaky cam action sequences was Gladiator, which was a year after the Blair Witch. I never saw Blair Witch personally.

Have a four day weekend coming up; really excited to see this.

John Wick gives you what you’re looking for!

There’s a certain often tedious narrative device that starts the film that had me groaning, but all was more than forgiven by the end.

Personally I blame the Bourne movies. That’s where it really seemed to take off from.

Post-Deadwood I would go with that. but he was in some godawful crap before Deadwood.

He’s done quite a bit of crap after Deadwood too. But for every Jack the Giant Killer, there’s a 44 Inch Chest.

I don’t know if that started the trend but it was certainly where I noticed it start.

Just got back from seeing this. Don’t expect too much of McShane; this isn’t a big role for him at all. I always enjoy his work, though.

My immediate reaction:
You have seen this movie at least once a decade, and in some decades, way more than that. It’s very well-executed, though, and has some elements I didn’t expect but enjoyed.

The Assassin’s Code plays a huge role after the action gets started, which was perfectly in-line with the story but not something I anticipated from the trailer

The fighting and shooting looked great, as does the movie overall from a cinematographic perspective. The direction was really good, in that all of the action was followable. John Wick is bad and legendarily good at being so. Maybe I just am not as up on the genre as I should be but I thought the gunplay was excellent and they seem to have taken great care to try to get it right. The soundtrack was workable but not something I took much notice of, other than on a couple of occasions. There is a fair amount of humor and at some unexpected times.

Willam Dafoe is in this movie as well in a much bigger role than I expected from the trailer. A few other folks that you will recognize, or should. Adrianne Palicki needs to be in more movies. Keanu does a great job; its a role that really plays to his strengths as a actor, and he deserves some of that sweet, sweet genre money for which Taken opened the taps. Dean Winters (the guy who plays “Mayhem” in the All State commericals) does a great job in his role as well.

There are some odd story beats and some things that didn’t come together well. The overall tone was different than what I expected. I also wasn’t expecting nearly as much Road to Perdition to be in the story as there was, although its plain to see if you were looking. A number of folks are going to take issue with the last act/ending/framing device. I thought it was OK but I expect there will be some jam removed from donuts.

All in all, for me it was a 8 out of 10, I think objectively its more like a 6.5-7.5 but a fine addition to the genre. I probably won’t see it in the theater again but I will buy it when it comes out on streaming.