Jon Shafer's At The Gates

Another bit of a recent status update, taken from the project’s Kickstarter comments:

[Quote=Jon Shafer]Oct 27, 2016

Hey all,
Just wanted to update you on the latest goings-ons. AtG has obviously taken a fair bit longer than expected but we’re still dedicated to finishing the game. The reason for the recent radio silence is that I’ve been in discussions with a partner to provide financial assistance to finally bite the bullet and hire full-time staff (in addition to just myself) to help get it out the door. Once the deal is done and I’m contractually allowed to talk about it we’ll fill you in on the details.[/quote]

Good to know that a)he’s still alive and b)working on the game.

Yay!56

The whole outside financial assistance stuff scares me- I’ve seen what it’s done to some other backed projects. Have to be really careful about compromising your vision.

Might be less of an issue with AtG because it isn’t competitive.

I’m not worried at all. It’s probably Stardock or Paradox.

If I were wagering, I’d say Stardock more likely (if that is indeed the case), though don’t sleep on Matrix or Wargaming.

But Jon has a history with Stardock, so that would be the most likely. But I think we are barking up the wrong tree, perhaps.

Don’t sleep on Curt Schilling. I bet he’s itching to get back into the industry!

…Yet!

I’d hope it is Stardock.

Good point. Matrix/Slitherine is looking to expand their portfolio so I could see it being them as well.

Devolver might be a good fit. Or Indie fund. If you need intro’s Jon please ping me.

At the Gates… of Vienna!

We’re getting close to Q1 2017. I wonder how progress is getting along…

Isn’t this coming out on February 28th, or am I thinking of something else? There were two games coming out that I’ve been looking forward to that come out next week. One of them is Torment, and I thought the other one was At The Gates, but the more I look around for release information, I think I’m confused.

I was looking a few weeks ago - there is not recent info on it. Feb 28 would be a shocker.

The website says Q1, 2017 but with the lack of any info I’d be surprised. I’m afraid that it’s not going to get released based on the silence. I think that was my last kickstarter I did. Only 1 out of the 4 I backed got released so far - Divinity Original Sin. Two aren’t going to get released. At the Gates is the last one I’m holding out hope for. I’m pretty much done with Kickstarter.

I backed a handful. Of them Road to Enlightenment released, Broken Age did as well. Tom vs Bruce… I won’t belabor but did not fully deliver either.

This is up in the air. I hope Jon can finish it, but I also know the last time he alluded to some troubles. So I am concerned as well.

I’m 1 for 4 in Kickstarter also. One movie got made, one product didn’t and of the two games one is totally dead and I think ATG is on life support at best.

I’ve only funded 5 or so kickstarters, three of them for different albums by the same band. I think At the Gates will be my first failed venture, but I already got over the $50 a few years ago.

I’ve been either lucky or good: backed 11 kickstarter games and have received 9 of them. The other 2 are still being actively worked. I did originally back this but I cancelled my pledge before it ended. Glad I did that (though I do feel for you guys who might not get the end product).