Joss Whedon? Seriously?

That’s from Angel, which despite Whedon fans claiming otherwise, is truly terrible television.

The hell you say! Angel had much of what made Buffy great, the snappy dialogue.

All Whedon dialogue can only be properly delivered by a face twisted into the Dreamworks Wrysmirk.

Angel’s first few seasons were horrible, like Buffy’s first season. But Angel’s last couple of seasons were better than Buffy’s last couple of seasons. Ironically and tragically, the one Whedon show that hit the ground running, Firefly, got cut off at the knees. Fox earned my eternal emnity with that, even without the hellspawn that is Fox News.

I think the reason Firefly has lived as well as it does is Whedon didn’t get a chance to fuck it up. It was a rare moment of almost perfection. The second season could have been more awesomeness, or it could have stunk it up.

OK, poor choice of expression, my bad, but I think it’s pretty obvious what I meant.

Sure, that’s always a possibility. But Whedon shows tend to take a long time to get off the ground, because they’re character-driven. Building characters take time, both for the writing and for the actors. As noted by many here, his plot lines are mediocre, at best. The Firefly characters just came alive so quickly, it was rather suprising.

I missed the whole Buffy thing, but started watching the DVDs of Angel with my now-ex wife. I liked them until they killed off Glenn Quinn’s character. I figured being a supernatural show, he’d be back anyway. Then found out the actor had actually died later and I was like, “and I’m done.”

My understanding was that the whole sequence of events with Quinn was tragic. They had to write him off because of his addiction struggle. A struggle that he unfortunately loss.

I just can’t fathom the love for Angel. The show was just bad. Conner, what happened with Cordelia, the stupid “dark Angel” plot, Gunn, Pylea, ugh, just all of it, ugh. Okay, I guess I liked Harmony and Fred, but they fucked Fred up later anyway. Lorne was sometimes amusing, but the joke went way past funny and became annoying to me.

The show’s title theme was better than Buffy’s.

Oh hell, I’ll go further than that - Firefly sucks. It’s like Whedon and Co said “Hey what if we make a literal space western with spaceships and horses and trains and an evil empire and oh I don’t know, a spooky girl too!” It’s a mess of a hodgepodge with the occasional funny one liner.

OK, Out of Gas is pretty good.

Thank God.

I finally broke down and watched it after bombing out of Buffy last year and it was–at its best moments–a 7/10 scifi show that thought itself far too clever.

And the acting was painfully wooden and “cheap”-feeling the vast majority of the time. The Space Callgirl and the Doctor were probably the best of the bunch, while the Captain might have actually been the worst.

FTFY.

I mean sure, if you’re eight years old. Hell, throw in some ninjas and dragons while you’re at it.

I curse your sudden, yet inevitable, betrayal.

Yeah, it is too bad. I really enjoyed his character.

No, not really. This is one of those things that is between Whedon and his family, and doesn’t sway the neutral opinion I had of his works. In Whedon’s case, as I said, I forget at times he had anything to do with Firefly.

It is pretty rare that an artist will do something in their personal life that will change my outlook on their work.The notable case of this is Adams with Dilbert. The artist would have to do something that will make me rethink their intentions/story of the work, and make me go ‘ewww’.

Can you elaborate on this please? I’m not that familiar with the comic or the artist.

Sure,

Scott Adams writes a comic called Dilbert, which basically was the plight of the modern office worker in a sea of stupidity from upper management. It then turns out the Scott had some pretty extreme right-wing views, and one can now apply how Adams feels about workers in general and turn the meaning of the strips around where Adams was instead viewing the boss as the protagonist.

I’m trying to avoid getting overly political in this thread, but it was just an easy example of how an artists beliefs/actions can make me think of the prior work differently.

Gotcha, cheers.