Judas - Ken Levine presents Bioshock in spaaaaace!

https://youtu.be/FoLJ4HgWqw4

That looks whacky as hell…my kid will love it, always talks about Bioshock.

Extremely weird to me that Ken Levine is responsible for laying off 75 people because he wanted to do something different, smaller, and more intimate than Bioshock, only to reveal a decade later something that looks extremely similar to Bioshock.

Yeah, such a shit thing to do.

This is probably the only thing I saw during the show that interested me.

The more games Ken Levine puts out, the more I’m convinced that System Shock 2 having any immersive sim elements at all was entirely due to institutional inertia.

He just wanted to make timey-wimey pseudo-philosophical art projects with guns the whole time.

He wanted to make a project with narrative Legos. I doubt that’s easy to show in a trailer. On the other hand, he could have abandoned that idea as unworkable, we don’t know yet.

Looks remarkably like a 10 year old game.

Well, a little bit of hope that this isn’t BioShock with a vacuum replacing water as the reason you can’t go outside comes from this comment on the YT video from a concept artist:

I dunno. It totally feels like BioShock in Space to me. All I know is that BioShock is one of the few series where I’ve played every game from start-to-end, and I’m excited to play this one.

Perhaps, alluding to Pete’s comments above, the trailer intentionally parrots BioShock’s feel, while there are surprises they’re holding back.

Or not. Day 1 for me.

Despite Ken’s poor treatment of people at times, you can’t get away from the fact he is an amazing visionary, one of the best in this industry and has a way to make this stuff come to life in spectacular fashion, unlike post 2010 Peter Molyneux.

System Shock 2 is game that left a watermark on my brain.

Unfortunately, the reporting indicates that with Ken you maybe can’t have one without the other: He drives the team hard to execute one vision, then throws that out when it’s not good enough and drives them hard in a different direction, throws that out, etc etc. Maybe not hard to be a visionary, when you get to take a dozen whacks at your vision, at the expense of your team…

The trailer for Judas sure does feel like this one just kept getting driven back toward whatever Bioshock did, but I guess we’ll see.

Ohhh that’s awful :(

hm, this sounds good to me. Making great games is an art, not a science. Like writing very good music or an exceptional movie script. Needs a lot of iterations. Then it gets somewhere…

For the devs, they get paid and can be part of something great.

I’m not sure I’m ok with the idea that you can abuse people all you want as long as you pay them. Especially as “paid” usually means a tiny, tiny fraction of what the boss makes.

Yeah, I think half the people who watched the trailer at TGA thought the same.

You can do “narrative Legos” in the context of very different games and genres. Still, if he has done it, it is again in a game with art style similar to the previous Bioshocks, and within again the subgenre of FPS with plasmids, and again seems a similar starting point in the setting (as far as the trailer let us think) , some isolated place run amok by some disaster, where people has some future magitech, this time seems based on robotics.
So I think LMN8R comment still holds up.

For me, Bioshock is where these titles stopped being especially interesting tbh. That one cool moment in Bioshock was about it. Anyway, wasn’t Prey Bioshock in Space already?

I’m killing you with my mind.

Prey was basically System Shock 3. Any Bioshock influence was minimal at best.

Ah right enough.

Where is Bioshock 2 on that list?

I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, especially when you add the DLC.

Bioshock 2 was a different studio.