Junction Point is Done

Warren Spector’s studio that gave Disney Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey 2 is apprently closing down.

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/295986810964828160

Second 21 gun salute for a studio in 7 days. Fare-the-well Junction Point! We hope that you all find new studios soon!

incoming warren spector kickstarter? I hope not.

If true, can’t say it’s much of a surprise.

Would frankly be shocked if there weren’t, but imagine it would be for new project, rather than to save company.

yes, I meant kickstarter with a new studio.

i’m not sure i understand what is being implied. is a warren spector kickstarter a bad thing?

What is a bad thing is that he would have to stoop to such a level. Sorta like Henry Ford bumped down to the guy at the car lot who washes the cars…

Do you think Wasteland 2, Torment 2 and the like is someome “stooping down” to some lower level? I find it an awesome option to get back to making the games they want to make, and that the public wants to make!

Come on Warren Spector - Make the EPic Mickey you wanted to make and that we had details about…that sounded so damn epic, instead of what we got. Or, of course, give us a true Thief game!

edit: removed the “eh”, since I hate posts that starts with that myself.

I don’t like when guys who have done nothing worthwhile in the past 10 years or more go to kickstarter and ask for 1 million $. this applies to braben, molyneaux, fargo (at least roberts had something to show). and spector is probably going to do exactly the same thing. there was a nice penny arcade comic about it.

edit: this one

Then don’t kick in? It’s pretty easy to make that statement.

I don’t really like this kind of comments. this is a forum. if I don’t like something, I can’t see why I shoudn’t criticize something instead of just ignoring it.

Very well - to elaborate. (Also, I did not say you should not criticize it, I said you should avoid paying for it)

Kickstarter is based on participation - This means, if you don’t participate, you don’t lose anything.

Most of the guys you mention, and those who have had successful kickstarters so far, are people who have solid game development experience. That, and past success’ is what you pay for when you decide to participate in a kickstarter.

Saying Warren Spector hasn’t done anything worthwhile for 10 years is pretty weird. Besides Thief:Deadly Shadows which came out in 2004, he has recently made two Epic Mickey games, where the first one was a pretty big success (Hence, the second one).

It should be noted that the tweet in the OP has been deleted in the meantime, and RSI is now stating:

Our posting about Junction Point was based on a story by http://mynintendonews.com this AM. CIG has no inside info on their status.

Which, of course, doesn’t mean that it’s not true. After all, we’re close to the company’s next fiscal report, which is something shutdowns are usually timed to. (And you’d think someone at Disney Interactive PR would have responded and denied it by now.)

Apparently, this has been confirmed.

Best wishes to all affected.

Glad you’re in the minority, if that kind of attitude was widespread we’d be looking at shallow mobile/social/console clones for a long time to come due to lack of outside funding.

Also let me guess, you’re in your early 20s and have never played the iconic games by these developers in the context of the era in which they were released, hence your failure to understand how much they really shaped gaming.

Every great artist has works that aren’t so hot. But that doesn’t make their works of genius any less great or mean they should be held to some arbitrary threshold after which patronage is withheld.

and you are one of those grumpy 30something PC master race guys that think everything released in the past decade is rubbish?

you see, if you wanted to play the prejudices game I’ve done my part.

Why is it you want to take on the martyr cloak instead of adressing the points people make to your concerns?

Mass layoffs at Club Penguin too today.

Gotta pay for those Death Stars somehow.