Jupiter's Legacy - Netflix, Mark Millar, old Justice League

We’ve seen two episodes of this, and really enjoyed it. Man you guys are harsh on shows.

That was my feeling. In the comics, the origin story is glossed over in a couple of early pages, and then a couple more pages later on where they show the aliens that gave them the powers, but that’s it. To be honest the whole first tv season only covered roughly the first issue of a 20-issue comic arc, and they added a bunch of stuff not in the comics (ie 95% of the origin story and cloned blackstar).

I think it would have worked better with a one-episode backstory and the rest moving the modern-day plot on a bit more, but maybe that’s because I know the plot from the comics and I was disappointed that there was basically no character development in the tv show compared to the dramatic shifts in attitude and purpose in the comics, though it’s obviously coming … if they get season 2.

Ultimately, I did enjoy the show, I just thought the story in the comic was more interesting, and the changes they made mostly slowed everything down and confused the motivations of many of the characters so that if they do end up like they did in the comics it will feel a bit less plausible.

Same feeling, I quite like it too. I mean, I like horrible terrible movies like Mortal Kombat, but this is a genuine like for me.

If all superheroes are descendants from the first six (right?), where did Blackstar come from?

Not just Blackstar…doesn’t there seem to be ALOT of super powered people in the modern day world? Did one of the six go on a bender and sleep with lots of people for a decade?

Skyfoxdecided to democratise powers and started splicing powers into babies? The whole “powered by anti-matter” Black Star sounds he falls into the science experiment origin story though (Cap, Spidey, F4).

When the superheros got their power, there was kind of an energy wave that passed over everything, so maybe that made some supers?

Yeah, they made a point of showing the people who stayed on the boat get washed over by that energy wave and I even noticed some runes on one of the guy’s skin for a sec. I would totally buy that they, too, were granted powers and could be another source for heroes/villains.

But Blackstar is the only deformed super we’ve seen. I guess his story will be told in future seasons.

Blackstar seems kind of like a mad scientist type who altered himself with technology.

I don’t know the comics and haven’t looked this up, but there’s one guy on the boat whose face really seemed to resemble Blackstar’s in the last shot of the origin story.

According to the comics, Blackstar’s actually an alien.

I had no idea who was who, despite being played by the same actors.

We have one episode left, and I am really digging this - It just hits all the right notes for me, is well done, and great acting all around.
I see it is also consistently the most watched show here in Denmark.

Yeah I honestly thought the acting was great with what they were given. I thought the writers were the weak link, especially where they departed from the comics, changing characters and motivations, adding confusing plot points. The number of Chloe’s sex, drug and party scenes seemed completely gratuitous, and I felt sorry for the actress, though she handled it really well. The writers gave us a weird mix of serious characters working through trauma and superhero stereotypes who weren’t around long enough to have any depth or interior life. Some actors milked their one scene for all their worth, while others seemed forbidden to breathe without the director’s permission. No doubt season 2 will unleash a lot of this buttoned up fury, which I can’t wait to see, if they get season 2.

Yeah, and they really never did anything to justify her shitty attitude. She’s this rebellious and dysfunctional because her dad doesn’t want her to swear and had to cancel ice cream one time?

As someone who only read the first trade paperback of the comics, the show was really disorienting. The start of the comics is basically just about personal dramas among the original hero team. One has to hide being gay. Two others fight over a woman, stuff like that. The second generation of heroes, nor the origin story were present at all it what I’d seen!

There are two sets of comics. ‘Jupiter’s circle’ which you’re describing is set in the 60s when the Union is new and idealistic. As you say it covers Blue Bolt being gay and Walter stealing George’s girlfriend with his mind powers etc.

‘Jupiter’s Legacy’ on the other hand covers the younger generation, and the origin story (in about 4 pages).

They’re all now published in 4 volumes called ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’ just to be confusing, where volumes 1 and 2 collect Jupiter’s Circle issues together, and 3 and 4 collect Legacy.

Sounds like 90s shoujo anime.

God damnit. I really liked how this started, with the whole conflict between ultimate power and human agency.

Then blah blah aliens chosen ones whatever BORING.

Bonus fuck you for half assed biting on Carmina Burana in an attempt to borrow gravitas.

Maybe everything doesn’t have to be an origin story. Maybe. Crazy, I know, but it’s a possibility.

Through ep7. Probably finish it up cuz why not, but MEH.

Ep8 is dumber. But hey, lookit all that budget!

Finished it - enjoyed every single episode.

This was a pleasant surprise - I did not really expect much from it, but for once it wasn’t a YA show, where everyone is 17 (I am looking at you, Shadow and Bone) - much appriciated!