Jurassic World - Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Irrfan Kahn, raptors

Wasn’t sure which thread was better for this, but reports are that Colin Trevorrow is expected to be announced today as the director for Star Wars Episode IX.

That seems like a terrible idea. Nothing in Safety Not Guaranteed or Jurassic World makes me think he’s particularly good or bad at directing, and maybe we’ll be well into a series of disappointing films by people we thought were going to be good by the time episode IX rolls around, but for now this just sounds like the box office for Jurassic World landed him the job. And the box office Jurassic World still feels like a fluke to me, a sequel with a critical consensus of “Well I thought that was going to be much worse” that just had the right combination of Chris Pratt, dinosaurs, and nostalgia.

Again, at this point, all future Star Wars films are big question marks, but the directing decisions were at least interesting. This is as uninteresting as it gets.

The plot of this movie was like if Dr. Frankenstein had a friend, who, after learning about Dr. Frankenstein’s death at the hands of his own creation said “Let’s build a super Frankenstein('s monster)!”

This movie is complete garbage on every level. The terrible tropes, the Michael Bay inspired dialogue, the half-baked plot ideas (the kid character’s stories), the “Let’s weaponize it” cliche. Everything is so bad about this. Having just recently watched Jurassic Park again, I can’t believe how shitty this movie was.

Man, it was awful. As someone who desperately loved the first movie (saw it in theatres at least 10 times as a kid), I want to like this movie, but it was just awful, and held nothing from the original.

Jurassic Park was a thriller/suspense movie, Jurassic World is a campy slasher film. They are both popcorn films, but they have different DNA.

None of that could be present in any other Jurassic Park movie…unless you want an all new origin story(NOOOO!). You can never have that element of discovery again, the shock of the basic concept. It’s all about what they do with the dinosaurs from here on out, and I do think this movie used them well.

It’s just a damn shame the characters and story are SyFy Original level of material.

All very true. So they should have stopped while ahead.

And miss out on the billion plus the movie has already grossed? Yeah, that was going to happen.

Great description for this movie. SyFy Original with a mainstream giant budget which explains why it did so well. I know a lot of people who just love those originals, and a few who claim this is batter than the first. I found it mostly predictable, except the part where a woman is running through the jungle in heels… rip those suckers off!

I see what you did there.

#3 of all time.

Universal and Amblin Entertainment’s Jurassic World has hit $1.522 billion at the global box office, eclipsing The Avengers ($1.520 billion) to become the No. 3 movie of all time behind and Avatar ($2.788 billion) and Titanic ($2.186 billion), not accounting for inflation.

Incredible. Even indexed for inflation, it’s far bigger than expected. Clearly there’s been a pent up demand for dinosaurs. Hopefully we’ll get some better ones as a result. Next up is the Kong of Skull Island adaptation though, so probably not.

Where are we going to get better ones, though? There aren’t many ways of putting non-anthropomorphic dinos in your film that don’t come across as totally asinine. Pseudo science like Jurassic Park and “Lost World” tropes like King Kong are pretty much it. And we can’t just keep remaking those two films over and over (well clearly we can).

Time travel! There’s a third modality for you!

(although I guess that’s more pseudoscience)

Actually, that was one of the asinine methods I was referring to. :b

But hey maybe there’s a good dinosaur story out there that utilizes time travel and I just haven’t come across it yet.

Well, there’s a great short story.

We could reboot this…

It’s been done. Not well.

I know. That’s why I said there’s a great short story, not a great film based upon it.

Ah. I thought we were talking about new dinosaur movies. My bad.

Ha ha, you saw A Sound of Thunder, starring Edward “Douchebag Supreme” Burns.

-Tom

I don’t see any dinosaurs in that picture, but whatever it is, I approve of rebooting it. Get Andrea Riseborough plz.

-Tom