Just Cause 3: Wingsuits, multiple tethers, and more mass destruction

Performance is beautifully silky for me now (was stuttery on launch) - but I have a new gpu too. :)

I haven’t played in a while and don’t really do much driving so I couldn’t say!

Unfortunately I’m still stuck with a 970 because of the &@#%! cryptocurrency miners’ driving up the price of the 1070s.

It’s not terrible, though, because I’m only driving one 1920x1200 monitor.*

*16x10 4 LIFE!

Framerate issues can be fixed by disabling your internet connection, as in turning it off completely. Normally I’d immediately delete a game like that, but for this one is is worth it. I think its those pinche leaderboards.

Other more positive thoughts:

1. Love the rebel drops, an improvement even over the last one.

2. Movement in this one, because of the wingsuit and unlimited parachutes plus grapple, make you miss the rhythm in other games. It’s wonderful.

3. Lots of great toys to play with. From giant Russian cargo planes to sports cars, tanks to 2 story tall dump trucks.

4. Derailable trains! Only open world shooter in the world that has them.

That’s exactly where I am at. 970 driving a 1920x1200 monitor. If I don’t go into an electronics store and look at newer displays I never know what I am missing.

I finally pushed through and finished the game 6 months ago and was still struggling a lot with the damn system. The startup online check kept crashing on me (irregardless if I was online or not) - the whole thing was just damn buggy. The long reloads were frustrating & the skill progression bored me…

JC2 was just so much better on every level! I’d say rather go back and replay that than start up JC3 to be honest.

This thread made me start a new game of this. Woot!

No way. Are you serious? Ugh.

No wai! Are you serious??? Sweet!

-Tom, who would consider reinstalling JC3 to mess around if it wasn’t for a game whose name rhymes with Sagents of Mayhem

Oh wow! This is basically the new Saints Row eh, and releases in 4 days!

I would also argue that until Crackdown 3 comes out, JC3 has the best destruction/physics engine of this console generation. Everything from a car sliding onto its side to a huge radar dish falling down feels weighty and realistic. Bridges collapse, fences break, trees crack and fall, sunflower fields get trampled, and trains… smashy smashy.

Even though I have the same criticisms of the game as @tomchick, I did buy this game during the Spring sale. I figured I just need to sit down, overcome my impatience, treat it like homework, and somehow get through those challenges despite the load times. Once I can get through them and unlock all the abilities, then the game should be more like Just Cause 2. But I haven’t been able to find the patience to do my homework yet, that’s all.

Yeah, when I reset the game it reset all the challenge unlocks so I have to do those again. I agree, this is a poor mechanic but I guess its not too repetitive. I think I did 3-5 challenges in each category to unlock what I wanted. Still, I hope designers can figure out a better way. Is there no model at all besides the “unlock” model?

Edit: Actually, while GR:Wildlands used a similar mechanic to get rebel ops, the guns and accessories were all available from the start, just in some pretty heavily defended areas. The rest of abilities had those commodities as a gateway. I think I like the “buy to unlock” model better. They already have “chaos points” in this game…

Yeah that’s part of what makes it so great to play (along with the locomotion and tethering experiments). I do wish Rico had learned to climb stuff by now though. Should be able to clamber up anything.

I was looking at Agents of Mayhem and that seems to have far less of the actual mayhem, in terms of things smashing.

You have to play the game, doing missions and freeing areas to reveal the challenges though. It’s not like they’re all laid out and you can do them in one hit. So they’re small chunks of spaced-out homework.

I know, that’s what makes it so much worse. Don’t remind me.

Still, I was stuck on the wingsuit one, for example, where I couldn’t even get barely passing grade, and for each 5 second try I had to wait a minute to reload and try again.

Yeah but they fixed those loading times, down to 15 seconds (1 minute down to 15 seconds for death reloads, I’m assuming it’s similar for challenge retries).

So I just broke my game of Just Cause 3.

Or rather, the developer broke it for me.

I bought the Mech Island DLC. The mission to start this is way up north in an area I don’t control. It’s 20 km from the nearest source of flares or beacons for me. 20 km from the nearest spawn.

So I got a plane and flew up there. Did the first mission and now find myself 20 north of any spawn except a new one up north. This is even further from the mission start, so almost 30km from my next nearest spawn.

And I have no beacons or flares. There are no “boxes” of these supplies up here you normally get at a spawn. Beacons in this game call down vehicles (like a plane) and flares let you fast travel. So I’m stranded up here with no way to get back. Even if I quit the game there is only one auto save and it puts me 30km away. This was a one way trip.

What a huge design oversight. Thanks Avalanche.

I take it that you don’t have the DLC that has the Bavarium wingsuit? Because that would solve your problem, wouldn’t it?

Nope, unfortunately not. I may just have to swim back.

Duuude. Look for a sale on that air-oriented DLC. The Bavarium wingsuit is the bomb, seriously.* It comes up pretty often on Steam (the “complete the package” type offer that they do these days).

*If you’re “of a certain age” as I am, it brings to mind the marketing slogan from the first Christopher Reeve Superman movie, “You will believe a man can fly.”

Finally found the damn thread, search function why you suck so bad!?!?!

After fear of my save game being lost, which it wasn’t I decided to revisit this.

I had given up back in early 2016 after getting to the main big island, and getting tired of the shit gears unlock system. I am glad I came back, the explosions are still glorious, I am focusing on missions and doing my best to skip the tons of liberation stuff that fills the map. Did most of the wingsuit missions that give you the ability to sorta fly like Ironman. :p

After that I went inland and killed a giant earth mover, which in Just Cause style, reminded me its fun to blow up big things. And I saw on the horizon I will get to do it again!

Also when Rico said this, the lulz I felt inside…:

More Pics:

Apparently the giant ass island to the north has like 10 missions on it…

I am done, that end boss fight was so bad. <18% of all players finished the last main story mission.

I wonder if square enix has it written in developer contracts to have horrible helicopter battles at the end of their games. :p