Just got my Battlefield: Vietnam

The specific kit available to any individual class can change depending on the map. On some of the maps, for example. going for the regular grunt class gets you a medic kit as well as your trusty M16.

Still, it wouldn’t hurt to modify the M60 to act like the M-249 SAW does in Desert Combat, such that it’s highly inaccurate when moving, but works normally when in the prone position.

If I recall correctly, someone was running a TeamSpeak server for the Planetsiders not too long ago. Could be it’s still up.

I have to admit I’m a bit of a linux moron, but I do have a small linux server running 24/7 on which I’m currently hosting a ventrilo server for my brother’s clan. If it’s possible to run two ventrilo servers (or channels) on the same box, or if someone wants to help me configure teamspeak or something similar, I’d be happy to host the Qt3 voice server for the foreseeable future.

I have a DSL connection with 6.0M down and 768k up (GOD I LOVE MY SPEAKEASY CONNECTION!), so there should be sufficient bandwidth as long as there aren’t a ton of people connecting.

PM me if you’re willing to help configure the damn thing, and we can get it up and running.

The TeamSpeak server not only was up, but is up. So there’s a precedent for this. It couldn’t hurt to have two of them, I guess, seeing as it’s only PSers who use the first one. It would certainly keep things organized.

I have a DSL connection with 6.0M down and 768k up (GOD I LOVE MY SPEAKEASY CONNECTION!), so there should be sufficient bandwidth as long as there aren’t a ton of people connecting.

How much does that run you? Wow.

I’m up for some Qt3 BF:V action, although I have to warn you that I heavily favor playing as the VC so far - they seem less “cheesy” without an M-60/LAW combo kit, and I loooove Pungee Sticks and Bouncing Betties.

Was playing a fair bit of BFV last night. Nice overall game.

We had some big problems with multiplayer though. On our 32 player server we were getting severe lag stuttering even though everyone was hovering around 40ms latency.

Someone suggested it is caused by the PunkBuster code and we need to tinker with the PunkBuster settings ?

Also how do you get your own music to play ingame ? I read the readme but can’t get it working. I was hearing other guys custom music though - how does this work ?

Oh and the game doesn’t seem to be very Radeon-friendly. Most of us with Radeon’s were experiencing less than stellar framerates.

Great stuff though. :wink:

It doesn’t help that BFV is based off the 1.5 '42 codebase, so I imagine we’ll get some improvements there soon.

Alright, the money I spent on this game has been made worth it for a singular surreal experience I just had online: That of standing in a side alley on the streets of Hue and hearing the faint lyrics of “Surfin Bird” drifting down the road.

As the approaching sounds became louder, I edged around the corner to take a quick look, and watched a single enemy trooper ride by on his little scooter. For some reason the visual of a battle hardened trooper riding through the dangerous war torn streets on a little moped made me laugh.

Of course, stepping out onto the street and using my shoulder launched RPG to send him and his little scooter straight to hell only added to my amusement at the absurdity of it all.

You mean you can hear the music that [b]other people[/b] are playing on their systems in their vehicles?

Oh, man, I can’t wait until our LAN party session tomorrow night.

:D

The M60 is pain. :cry:

A few things I’ve noticed. Keep in mind I have no BF 1942 experience:

I’ve yet to see the mortar used effectively. Does anyone ever bother to spot?

Planes feel damn hard to control. It’s really easy to fly yourself out of the playing field because they fly so fast.

Has anyone put the log traps found on some maps to good use?

What’s up with the blowtorch? It doesn’t seem very useful, since even if you do manage to sit in front of a vehicle and torch it, it blows up in your face and kills you anyway. Am I using it wrong? The same goes for the booty traps. I never seem to be able to use these, since even if I manage to sneak my way into a base, I’m shot dead in seconds before I can sabotage anything.

The best thing the VC can do is wait in the bushes until some dope comes along, shoot him, and take the M60 he’s undoubtedly carrying. Has anyone found a VC weapon that’s somewhat decent to use?

The fact that someone can sit in a corner and shoot people in the back as they respawn over and over again is retarded. Why don’t they give respawned characters 3 seconds of invulnerability, so you can at least get your bearings before you’re gunned down? Granted, I don’t know all the tricks, but this seems really asinine.

Apparently the way it works is this: there’s a library of songs in BF:V that you can play on the radios. If you play one of those, then everyone hears it. If you play a custom one, nobody does because they don’t have the file.

When I was on last night I hopped onto the back of a bike to ride shotgun for the driver. We were playing that music and I was plinking peeps as we rode past.

Surreal doesn’t even begin to describe it. What fun ! :D

Oh has anyone else noticed the crazy recoil of the tanks in BFV ? Seems like the tank chassis turns 90 degrees everytime you fire off a shot.

The M60 is definitely overpowered, and I’ve taken to avoiding using it just so I don’t get reliant on it should they nerf it in the next update.

Generally, I do try to do some spotting whenever possible, especially when coming up to a river or valley in whcih the enemy is on the other side.

I’ve been the victim of some really well done punji stick placement at the entrances of the small flag buildings such as the Ho Chi Minh map.

Has anyone been able to use the shovel as a VC engineer? I can’t even select it as a weapon. Is there some sort of range I have to be from fixed spawn points to use it, and is there a limit to the amount of tunnels you can place.
And yeah, the music from vehicles is cool. Wonder how long it takes for people to realise that it telegraphs their position to everyone with a LAW handy?

How much does that run you? Wow.[/quote]

Actually, it’s much more affordable than I expected. Speakeasy used to charge $130 for a 3.0/768 line. A month or two ago they dropped that price to $99, and threw in a free subscription to fileshack (which is nice for demos). I signed up.

About two weeks ago I got an email saying something to the effect of: We’re terribly sorry, but your connection may go down for a few minutes this Thursday. It’s going down because we’re doubling your download speed, for free. We hope you don’t mind terribly.

This is why I love Speakeasy. :)

Time to go buy BF:V tomorrow…

I really don’t mind setting up the server if someone wants to walk me through it. Just let me know…

Peter, the shovel is another poorly documented by important trick. The NVA/VC engineer can pick up their mobile spawn points, which look like a pile of dirt with a shovel sticking out of it (you can find it on the map that comes up with the enter key). Look at the dirt and hit G as if you were taking a dead soldier kit.

Then you’ll be able to select the shovel and ‘fire’ it at the ground to drop the spawn point. I think it actually has to be on an earthen surface rather than, say, the interior of a building. It can be an incredibly useful tool for the NVA/VC. It’s much more versatile than the US mobile spawn point, which relies on someone with the mad 'copter skillz to airlift that crate someplace without being a huge target for the enemy.

Of course, the US also gets the spawn point party barge. I usually see those things run aground in inopportune places.

Sunny, since you haven’t played BF1942, you’ll find that a lot of the game’s mechanics depend on how good the players are. Spotted arty can be pretty helpful, but you won’t see it used that often because it takes the sort of coordinated team work you mainly see in clans. The ‘STFU n00b’ contingent wouldn’t even know how it works.

Planes feel damn hard to control. It’s really easy to fly yourself out of the playing field because they fly so fast.

Planes really require a joystick, unlike the helicopters (which I think work better without a joystick!). Unless you’ve been conditioned by years of deprivation playing flight sims with cursor keys. You have to use planes to line up ground-to-air attacks rather than trying to jink at the last minute to hit a target you just saw.

Has anyone put the log traps found on some maps to good use?

They seem like gimmicks more than anything very useful. The VC can use them on Ho Chi Minh Trail to smack the first round of Marines rushing north from their spawn point in jeeps. But the log traps on Operation Irving, for instance, which guard the approach to the artillery ridge from the village, seem pretty useless.

What’s up with the blowtorch?

On Operation Flaming Dart, you can destroy the control towers at each air field to disable vehicle spawning. The best way to do this without calling attention to yourself is to squat at the base of the tower and use the blowtorch! The blowtorch lets you chip away hit points without loud explosion effects, after which it only takes one cube of C4 to finish the job.

The same goes for the booty traps. I never seem to be able to use these, since even if I manage to sneak my way into a base, I’m shot dead in seconds before I can sabotage anything.

The best use I’ve seen of these is driving a vehicle somewhere to join a fight and then boobytrapping it after you’ve hopped out, in the hopes that one of the US/ARVN guys will shortly hop into the vehicle.

Has anyone found a VC weapon that’s somewhat decent to use?

I really like the RPD. The M60 is good because you can also carry the LAW. But as far as guns go, the RPD is nothing to sneeze at even if its not part of a diverse kit.

The fact that someone can sit in a corner and shoot people in the back as they respawn over and over again is retarded. Why don’t they give respawned characters 3 seconds of invulnerability, so you can at least get your bearings before you’re gunned down? Granted, I don’t know all the tricks, but this seems really asinine.

I think this is part of what you have to learn about the Battlefield series. One way to knock down someone’s tickets is to spawn camp a flag rather than capture it. The other side, ideally, should know better and spawn at a less contested flag. But, yeah, it is odd that DICE hasn’t adopted the FPS convention of a few seconds of invulnerability after spawning.

-Tom

Anyone want to comment on whether the BF1942 tweak of adding the line “Sound.soundBufferCacheSize 1000” to the default.con actually works for them on BFV?

I’m still undecided as to whether it really makes a difference on my machine or not.

Thanks for the help, Tom. My God they did a shitty job of letting people know how to do some pretty important things in the game.
Also, the novelty is wearing off… does everyone HAVE to play the jukebox as they drive around?

Another multiplayer surreal moment: Watching a stolen M113 troop transport full of NVA soldiers slowly rumbling towards the main US base, only to suddenly be snatched up by the cargo hook of a Heuy which proceeded to drop the transport, James Bond You Only Live Twice-style, into the water a ways down the road.

Okay: I’ve set up a ventrilo server for Qt3. It’s located at 66.92.163.103, on the default port. PM me for the passwords (unless there’s a better way to share them without necessarily sharing them with the entire world?)

Have at it!