So today I was informed that, after 3+ years of employment at a small Internet advertising agency as their resident SEO expert, I would be losing my job due to them losing their biggest client a week or so ago. My last day will be on 12/16. I'm currently numb and in shock, but recognize that it's been a while since I job hunted and am not above asking for help/advice, so here I am.
Here's what I've done so far:
- Canceled Netflix, Gamefly, Livejournal and other unneeded monthly expenses.
- Set up a separate Google Voice number for potential employers, to keep it separate from personal calls.
- Arranged with certain agencies (car payment, insurance, etc) to make staggered payments rather than whole payments to stretch out my money as best I can.
What I need to do:
- Update my resume (which my current employers will help me with).
- Get letters of recommendation from my current superiors (which they'll gladly write, I'm told).
- Once resume is updated, post to all job hunting sites and Craigslist to look for full-time and freelance work.
That's all I can think of so far, so if anyone has any tips, I'd be happy to hear them. Thank you for your time.