Justice Souter retiring

I’m thinking he starts out on a bet, or a dare.

Oooh! Or maybe his father was supposed to get it, and the give it to him accidentally.

This is 2009, he’d be nominated via a web poll which would be stuffed by 4chan.

Dude, this cast is terrible. Obviously this movie stars Method Man as the young guy who gets appointed to the Court and Redman as his best friend who keeps him grounded (and causes hijinx!).

Whomever Obama nominates, Fox will breathlessly report that it’s the most liberal nomination ever.

i’d replace heigl with elizabeth banks, myself.

There’s an interesting article over at Huffpo on just how the Republican caucus Can deny Obama’s nomination. Apparantly (it’s all complicated, which the article tries to explain about the original Cornell Law School professors explanation), it can be stalled by having no member of the Judiciary committees minority party vote for confirmation. Which may be harder now that Specter is a Democrat. Plus they can just not show up for the confirmation hearings, which can stall the process in the same way.

Kinda hard to explain and it does have work arounds, but if the Republicans want to be asses ( shock horror ) , they can muck up the process pretty good.

The party of no strikes again.
What’s hilarious is that they think this will win them elections.

I am positive that they Republicans are going to go after this in a manner that they think will win them points and will get schooled badly.

That’s my thought as well. “Most qualified” is a good thing, and I’d say that being a minority or a woman makes you more qualified than being a middle-aged/old white guy, considering the current court.

Oh, and his decisions on the Court end up being pretty righteous and are very popular with the 18-45 crowd.

I’m going to miss Souter. I think Obama will replace him with Sotomayor, which is a goddamned shame because she isn’t liberal enough.

You’re right - she’s more credible in a movie like this. Done.

A shortlist has been leaked:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iVIF9OnrgW2kTS53D8szV4l9GLewD985S7CO0

Among those Obama is considering are Solicitor General Elena Kagan, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and U.S. Appeals Court judges Sonia Sotomayor and Diane Pamela Wood. California Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno is also under review by Obama.

dear lord please not napolitano.

I vote for Kagan. Wood would be the second choice, but she’s too old. As for the others, I’m a spic myself, but I find the spics up for nods too… bipartisan. As for Napolitano and Granholm, I don’t like branch-switchers.

Napolitano would be terrible. What is she even doing on that list?