Kaby Lake System Build

Again under the worst case scenario, with a poorly ventilated case, full CPU and GPU load, sequential writes throttled from 1600MB/sec to 400MB/sec after 21 seconds. So after copying 33.6GB.

But that worst case scenario is bullshit. You’re only at full GPU load while benchmarking or high-end gaming. CUDA use rendering video or whatever won’t get there. So yeah, if you’re playing The Witcher 3 and simultaneously copying over 30GB of data from one NVMe SSD to another in a poorly ventilated case, your SSD will throttle down to “only” 400MB/sec.

The heatsink is simply not necessary.

LOL let the man have his heatsink!

The man is a heatsink racist. He cannot be reasoned with!

I like to think of myself as an alt-cooler.

See, this is why we need a like button.

From Anandtech:

The 960 EVO includes all of the thermal management measures of the 960 Pro, including the copper-backed heat spreading label, a very power-efficient controller and a well-tuned thermal throttling implementation. TLC NAND has been shown to be, in general, slower and more power-hungry than MLC NAND so the 960 EVO is more susceptible to thermal throttling than the 960 Pro, but Samsung claims it is still less of a problem than it was for the 950 Pro, which means that virtually all real-world usage scenarios will not trigger throttling.

So, why bother with the 950?

…cost?

Don’t think the 950 is cheaper, especially than the evo.

Yes! I noticed this on my 960 pro! I removed the labels from both sides – I wanted the thermal adhesive for the heatsink to stick to the chips not the label on top of the chips – and when I did, I noticed the back side has a small copper plate under its sticker. I left that on.

@lordkosc,

That motherboard should be great. I was originally going for that one, but ended up with the Strix Z270E because it adds 802.11ac wi-fi, bluetooth, and higher-end audio (better isolation, mostly) for just about $20 more. (And you get a ROG coaster for your Mountain Dew!)

I went for the Corsair Vengeance RAM and it’s been fine, though I had to back off the XMP. Haven’t had time to figure out a stable overclock yet so just running everything at stock speeds.

I got the 1TB version of that MX300 and it’s been great. The only downside is that using a SATA M.2 drive instead of PCI, you lose access to SATA Port 1 on the motherboard. I wasn’t using all six SATA connectors, but it did make me go through some silly troubleshooting to figure out why one of my drives wasn’t showing up.

I had the exact same issue with mine. Is this a normal thing?

Same here with a Strix z270g and 32 gigs of Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM. I could never boot at all with XMP on, so I had to manually set speed, voltage and timings and then further tweak the secondary timings when it still failed to boot intermittently.

Think I am gonna go with this ASRock board over the Asus , I need more SATA connections, as I will actually lose 2 with the M.2 drive. I won’t get a M.2 drive right away, as my MX300 SSD is still ok. I’ll wait for the M.2 1TB drives to drop in price. :)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74165-asrock-fatal1ty-z270-gaming-k6-motherboard-review.html

Here is my cart over at EGG. Figure I’ll order it all monday, then work on it next weekend.

Wish they would have found a way to keep all the SATA ports working when using M.2 slots. :|

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you be using SATA ports for m.2 instead of pci?

Don’t know if all motherboards do it, but some of the ones i’ve been looking at say that one, or more, of the M.2 slots share bandwidth with a sata port, so using it will be disable that port.

Ah, ok. guess that makes sense.

There are two kinds of M.2 drives: Some use as SATA transfer mechanism, and some use PCI-E. The MX300, for instance, is SATA, while the Samsung 960 is PCI-E.

Either one can result in having to disable SATA ports, though. On the Strix Z270E, if you use a PCI-E M.2 drive in the second of two slots you either have to run it in X2 mode, or disable SATA 5 and 6 ports to use it in full-bandwidth X4 mode.

None of that really matters unless you’re editing 4k video or some other application that benefits from very high sequential transfer speeds.

When I upgraded my computer I couldn’t tell the difference going from SATA2 to 3, and that was a straight-up doubling from 375 MB/sec to 750 MB/sec. Desktop and even most gaming performance is sensitive to random access speed, not sequential.

Made a few changes, a better mobo with 10 sata ports! And a cooler with a higher CFM fan. Changed the memory to 16-16-16-36 timing 3200 speed G.SKILL. and its cheaper than the corsair brand! Newegg should have it all here by Wednesday.

So quick question, will I have to do a clean install of Win 10? Or can I fudge it and just plug in my existing Win10 ssd, use a Win10 boot usb drive to repair the install and find all the new hardware then re-register with MS?

Last time I tried a lazy install , I ended up formatting my entire PC. But that was with Win7, I am sure its a smoother process now with Win 10 , right?

Watched a few CPU benchmark videos, seems the CPU /RAM / MOBO upgrade will be a 25-30% bump in overall speed , going from my i7-2600k (it won’t stay stable at 4+ghz anymore).

You should be able to go without a complete reinstall, if you really want to. I wouldn’t recommend it though.